4 х 250 kg FAB-250M43 bombSetup 3
The TB-3M-17-32 is a gift rank I Russian heavy bomber with a battle rating of 1.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced into the game sometime prior to Update 1.27.
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
| Max Speed
(km/h at ?,000 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at ?,000 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< ???||< ???||< ???||> ???|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|?,??? m||??? hp||?,??? hp|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the aircraft. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical aircraft systems.
Describe the offensive armament of the aircraft, if any. Describe how effective the cannons and machine guns are in a battle, and also what belts or drums are better to use. If there is no offensive weaponry, delete this subsection.
Describe the aircraft's suspended armament: additional cannons under the wings, bombs, rockets and torpedoes. This section is especially important for bombers and attackers. If there is no suspended weaponry remove this subsection.
Defensive armament with turret machine guns or cannons, crewed by gunners. Examine the number of gunners and what belts or drums are better to use. If defensive weaponry is not available remove this subsection.
Usage in battles
TB-3 is, in a nutshell a typical heavy bomber, and a very heavy, very slow one at that. It packs a truely majestic payload of 3000 kilos of bombs, however the problem is in getting this payload to its target. Maximum speed of TB-3 is less than 200 km/h and its flight will take a really long time during which the giant TB-3 will become a very easy and enticing target for all enemy fighters and even some bombers. All this combined with practically non existent manouverability makes this bomber a very vulnerable one and its pilots may consider themselves lucky if they reach the target - not mentioning the route back. However, the TB-3 is not at all defenceless. Five turrets with total of eight 7.62mm DA machine guns present quite an effective firepower - at least against fighters of the TB-3 age. When attacked, don't even bother with manouvers, man the turrets and open fire, it is the only hope of the TB. The effectivity of the turret fire is multiplied thanks to one previously mentioned factor - very low speed. As the maximum speed of TB-3 is equal to terminal speed of most of the fighters, these fighters will often have hard time intercepting the TB, while the TB gunners will gain great opportunity of hitting slowly approaching enemy planes. This tactics however doesn't work very well when attacked from below. In that case, pray.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not controllable||Not controllable|
Pros and cons
- Large payload of up to 3,000 kg (6,613 lb) with different payload configurations, capable of destroying all bombing targets in a single run
- Adequate defensive firepower capable of fending off enemy fighters effectively
- Good damage absorption due to large size and strong construction
- Difficult to hit by fast Boom & Zoom interceptors thanks to its low speed
- Low rank fighters, can have difficulties (pending the skill of the fighter pilot) with climbing and reaching the flight level of TB-3
- It never rips itself from a dive
- Surprisingly maneuverable for it's size
- Gunners have plenty of ammo before reloading
- Very slow speed - is one of the slowest planes in game
- Very slow climb rate - the speed loss while climbing is very significant and can be deadly due to the low overall speed
- Almost no speed reserve for maneuvring, especially apparent when landing
- There are no brakes, that you have to wait for the plane to glide to a full stop before rearming
- Basically incapable of manuevering when attacked - survival depends on turret fire
- Have no offensive armament and will require to slightly tip the plane forward for the turret to engage manually
- No armour protection for the crew or modules
- Large size makes large target for enemy fire, even flak
- While relatively safe from fast interceptor fighters, the TB-3 is very vulnerable to agile and manoeuvrable planes
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's devblog entry (if applicable) and the ingame encyclopedia description (under
=== Encyclopedia Info ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.
|SB and Ar||SB 2M-100 · SB 2M-103 · SB 2M-103 MV-3 · SB 2M-103U · SB 2M-103U MV-3 · SB 2M-105 · Ar-2|
|Yer-2 (petrol)||Yer-2 (M-105) · Yer-2 (M-105) TAT-BT · Yer-2 (M-105R) TAT-BT · Yer-2 (M-105R) LU-MV-2B|
|Yer-2 (diesel)||Yer-2 (ACh-30B) Early · Yer-2 (ACh-30B) Late|
|Tu||Tu-2 · Tu-2S · Tu-2S-44 · Tu-2S-59 · Tu-4 · Tu-14T|
|Pe||Pe-2-1 Peshka · Pe-2-31 Peshka · Pe-2-83 Peshka · Pe-2-110 Peshka · Pe-2-205 Peshka · Pe-2-359 Peshka · Pe-8|
|IL||DB-3B · IL-4 · IL-28 · IL-28Sh|
|Po-2 · MBR-2-M-34 · TB-3M-17-32 · Yak-4 · Be-6|
|Lend-Lease||▂PBY-5a Catalina · ▂Hampden TB Mk I UTK-1 · ▂B-25J-30 Mitchell|
|USSR premium aircraft|
|I rank||MBR-2-M-34 · TB-3M-17-32 · Zhukovsky's I-153-M62 · LaGG-3-4 · LaGG-3-23 · I-301 · I-29 · Tandem MAI · ▂PBY-5a Catalina|
|▂Hampden TB Mk I UTK-1|
|II rank||LaGG-3-34 · I-153P Chaika · I-16 type 28 Ishak · ▂P-40E-1 Kittyhawk · ▂Hurricane Mk IIB · ▂P-39K-1 Airacobra|
|III rank||Yak-3T · Golovachev's Yak-9M · IL-2M “Avenger” · Pe-2-205 Peshka · Tu-2 · ▂Pokryshkin's P-39N-0 Airacobra · ▂P-39Q-15 Airacobra|
|▂P-63A-5 Kingcobra · ▂P-47D-27 Thunderbolt · ▂B-25J-30 Mitchell|
|IV rank||Dolgushin's La-7 · La-11 · Yak-3 (VK-107) · Be-6 · ▂P-63A-10 Kingcobra · ▂P-63C-5 Kingcobra · ▂Spitfire Mk IXc · ▂Fw 190 D-9|
|V rank||MiG-15bis ISH|