|This page is about the Soviet air-to-ground missile Kh-25ML. For the other version, see Kh-25.|
The Kh-25ML is a Soviet laser-guided air-to-ground missile. It was introduced in Update "Direct Hit".
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
|Maximum speed||2 M|
|Missile guidance time||45 secs|
|Firing range||10 km|
|Explosive mass||119.04 kg TNTeq|
|Armour penetration||82 mm|
Describe the type of damage produced by this type of missile (high explosive, splash damage, etc)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of missiles that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
As of "Ground Breaking" update, there is no effective, practical usage of Kh25ML except pure for fun in Custom Battle, due to extreme limitation in target acquisition capability of MiG-27M. Causing it to unable to utilize Kh25ML's long range and high average flight speed. Thus Kh25ML is only usable in PVE game mode with enemy marker enabled to compensate for poor zoom in MiG-27M targeting view.
To use the Kh25ML: 1. Fly aircraft with nose directly towards target as if you are using MCLOS guided AGM, like AGM-12 Bullpup. 2. Warm up missile by pressing Weapon lock (air-to-ground) button 3. Switch to targeting view. You must acquire target before you switch. Since lack of effective zoom in MiG-27M's targeting view makes it unsuitable for visual target acquisition. 4. Press Toggle Laser Designator button to active laser target designator 5. Wait missile prompt change from grey ACQ to red TRK. 6. Fire missile and keep crosshair overlapped on Enemy Marker 7. Switch out of targeting view and wait for impact. Due to low zoom, any mouse movement will translate into very large shift in laser designated position, which will easily cause missile to lose track of target or jerk out of control; thus exiting targeting view can eliminate this possibility.
Pros and cons
- Very long burning rocket motor (2 seconds booster, 8 seconds sustainer) providing much higher average flight speed than other AGM in game
- Large warhead that guarantees the destruction of a well-armoured MBT even when missed by a few metres
- Uses proportional guidance, prone to sudden movement if launch platform does not have automated target tracking capability
- The only carrying aircraft, MiG-27M, has almost non-existent zoom in targeting view. Which makes Kh25ML unusable in Simulator Battle and Ground Realistic Battle. Since pilot can only reliably visually spot target within 4km, and small turret traverse angle preclude circling battlefield for usage of Mark I eyeball.
- Need to activate laser designator and warm up missile separately. Even if pilot spotted target, due to high speed of MiG-27M, by the time pilot activates laser designator and warm up the missile, pilot will be within 2km of target, which may well give up on Kh25ML and use guns instead, or carry dumb bombs in the first place.
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
- Related development
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.