Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the missile.
Describe the type of damage produced by this type of missile (high explosive, splash damage, etc)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of missiles that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
The Skyflash missile offers improved versatility for the Phantom FGR.2 and Phantom FG.1 compared to the AIM-7E. With a 25G overload, the Skyflash can reliably engage, track, and defeat targets flying defensively even at close range and lower altitudes. It also features faster target acquisition, allowing the player to launch during limited engagement windows. This allows the Skyflash to engage targets flying at high speeds and oblique angles, a feat the AIM-7E struggles to perform. Coupled with pulse-doppler radars such as the AN/APG-59 on the British Phantoms, the Skyflash is among the first SARH missiles capable of being reliably used in very low altitude dogfights while retaining the long-range effectiveness of the original Sparrow at high altitude.
Pros and cons
- Begins tracking right off the rail
- Good manoeuvrability allows engagement of agile targets at ranges as close as 2 to 4 km
- High supersonic top speed
- Can sometimes fail to track
- Radar lock must be maintained for the entire duration of the missile's flight
- Missile potential can be limited by radars with no look-down/shoot-down (LD/SD) capability
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.