The MiG-27M is a rank VII Soviet jet fighter with a battle rating of 11.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "Direct Hit".
This aircraft has an excellent top speed, which means it can speed away from enemy fighters if needed, with flares and chaff assisting in countering incoming missiles. Despite being a heavy aircraft, the MiG-27M has one of the best sustained turning abilities among top tier jets thanks to its variable swept wing design.
Compared with its fighter jet version, the MiG-23M, the MiG-27M is slightly heavier and has a lower thrust (despite the difference being very little). As a result, the MiG-27M can pull less Gs than the MiG-23M, specifically, it tends to pull one less G than the MiG-23M across all speeds. For example, at 800-900 km/h, the best speed range for these two aircraft to manoeuvre, the MiG-23M can pull 12Gs, whereas the MiG-27M can pull 11Gs. This characteristic, despite seemingly lowering the manoeuvrability of the aircraft, actually improves the experience since both the MiG-23M and MiG-27M break their wings at 12G. As a result, the MiG-23M could risk ripping its wings during manoeuvres, whereas the MiG-27M has no risk of damage.
The MiG-27M, just like the MiG-23M, feels sluggish in manoeuvres. However, despite the bad instantaneous turning and rolling ability, the MiG-27M has exceptional sustained turning and rolling ability for a medium-heavy fighter. At speeds lower than 900 km/h and with the wings turned to forward position, the MiG-27M can outmanoeuvre most top-tier jets, even including the F-5Cs and MiG-21s. At 400 km/h, with the wings set to the most forward position, the MiG-27M somewhat resembles a piston-engine attacker, with superb lift and great sustained turn rate. This is extremely helpful in a 1v1 situation, where you can use this characteristic to trick your enemy into low speed and outmanoeuvre them easily.
To be noted though, the high-speed manoeuvrability of the MiG-27M is not exceptional at all. At supersonic speeds and the wings fully swept back, the MiG-27M can only pull 8Gs of overload, significantly less than the 10 to 11Gs of the F-4Es and the JA-37s. Also, the MiG-27M does not hold its speed well in turns. In such case, it is advised to keep your speed and do less manoeuvres in most times during a battle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 13,000 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear||Drogue chute|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< ___||< ___||< ___||N/A|
|Engine name||Number||Wing loading (full fuel)|
|Tumansky R-29B-300||1||11,605 kg||419 - 472 kg/m2|
|Engine characteristics||Mass with fuel (no weapons load)|| Max Takeoff|
|Weight (each)||Type||11m fuel||20m fuel||30m fuel||39m fuel|
|1,780 kg||Afterburning axial-flow turbojet||12,964 kg||13,912 kg||15,065 kg||16,135 kg||_,___ kg|
|Thrust to weight ratio @ 0 m (WEP)|
|Condition||100%||WEP||11m fuel||20m fuel||30m fuel||39m fuel||MTOW|
|Stationary||7,950 kgf||10,208 kgf||0.79||0.73||0.68||0.63||_.__|
|Optimal|| 8,268 kgf
| 12,633 kgf
Survivability and armour
The plane gets some 10 mm armour behind the pilot, and 9 mm on each side of the pilot. This will not really save you against the firepower faced in top-rank jet battles and is more against the stray machine gun round or shrapnel from ground attacks.
Modifications and economy
|CCIP (Guns)||CCIP (Rockets)||CCIP (Bombs)||CCRP (Bombs)|
The MiG-27M is armed with:
- A choice between two presets:
- 1 x 30 mm GSh-6-30 cannon, belly-mounted (300 rpg)
- 1 x 30 mm GSh-6-30 cannon (300 rpg) + 12 x countermeasures
(ammunition: 500 rounds)
The MiG-27M can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 7 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (1,750 kg total)
- 4 x 250 kg OFAB-250sv bombs (1,000 kg total)
- 7 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (3,500 kg total)
- 80 x S-8KO rockets
- 4 x S-24B rockets
- 2 x Kh-23M missiles
- 4 x Kh-25ML missiles
- 2 x Kh-29L missiles
- 2 x Kh-29T missiles
- 4 x R-60M missiles
- 2 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons (250 rpg = 500 total)
- 128 x S-5KP rockets
- 20 x 100 kg OFAB-100 bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 12 x 100 kg OFAB-100 bombs + 64 x S-5KP rockets (1,200 kg total)
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles + 2 x Kh-25ML missiles
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles + 40 x S-8KO rockets + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles + 2 x S-24B rockets
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles + 12 x 100 kg OFAB-100 bombs (1,200 kg total)
- 2 x R-13M1 missiles + 2 x S-24B rockets + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 4 x R-60M missiles + 5 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (1,250 kg total)
- 4 x R-60M missiles + 5 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (2,500 kg total)
- 4 x R-60M missiles + 12 x 100 kg OFAB-100 bombs (1,200 kg total)
- 80 x S-8KO rockets + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 80 x S-8KO rockets + 3 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (750 kg total)
- 40 x S-8KO rockets + 4 x R-60M missiles + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 40 x S-8KO rockets + 4 x R-60M missiles + 3 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (750 kg total)
- 40 x S-8KO rockets + 5 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (2,500 kg total)
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 4 x R-60M missiles
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 5 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (1,250 kg total)
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 5 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (2,500 kg total)
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 40 x S-8KO rockets
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 40 x S-8KO rockets + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 4 x R-60M missiles + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 2 x S-24B rockets + 4 x R-60M missiles + 3 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (750 kg total)
- 4 x R-60M missiles + 2 x Kh-25ML missiles
- 2 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons + 2 x S-24B rockets
- 2 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons + 40 x S-8KO rockets + 3 x 500 kg FAB-500M-62 bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 2 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons + 5 x 250 kg FAB-250M-62 bombs (1,250 kg total)
- 4 x 500 kg KAB-500 bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 2 x 500 kg KAB-500 bombs + 4 x R-60M missiles (1,000 kg total)
- 2 x 500 kg KAB-500 bombs + 2 x R-13M1 missiles (1,000 kg total)
Usage in battles
Thanks to its great low-altitude performance and powerful cannon armament, the MiG-27M can be a good fighter jet in Air RB. Generally speaking, the best tactic for playing it as a fighter jet is similar to that of the MiG-23M: heading to the left after take-off, keeping the altitude under 500 m, postponing your entry as late as possible, then engaging in head-on combat using the all-aspect R-60Ms and your powerful GSh-6-30 cannon.
Since the MiG-27M has a significant low-altitude speed advantage compared with most of its opponents, it is advised to keep your speed throughout the battle. However, when there's only one or two enemies left, the MiG-27M could quickly become a dogfighter by setting its wing to about 50% angle. In such a setting without load, the MiG-27M can pull 11Gs at 900 km/h, and with even more aggressive dogfighting techniques and less angle for the wing, the MiG-27M is capable of dogfighting light fighters like F-5Cs and MiG-21MFs.
Enemies worth noting:
- J35Ds, since it is the only aircraft that could certainly win a dogfight against MiG-27M.
- F-5Es, F-5Cs and MiG-21s, since they are great dogfighters, but it is still possible to defeat them in dogfights.
- F-4EJ Kai, JA37C, Phantom FG.1/FGR.2, since they have doppler radars and great mid-range missiles.
The MiG-27M could also be played as an attacker in Air RB. When doing so, though, it is still advised to take the 4 R-60Ms and play using the tactic mentioned above to maximize your survivability. Once flanked to the back of the enemy, rush to a base and drop your bombs, then either play it as a fighter jet or ground strike the enemy targets.
The MiG-27M is a great aircraft for ground RB because of its decent manoeuvrability, the variety of guided weapons it can carry, and its GSh-6-30 cannon. To use it effectively, first shoot down any opposing aircraft using the R-60Ms, then deploy whatever weapons you have on-board against tanks. The cannon is also remarkably effective against the thin sides of western MBTs and other lightly armoured targets. Using all your armaments effectively, it is possible to kill quite a few targets in one run.
Pros and cons
- Very high top speed at low altitude.
- Good sustained turning ability, could even dogfight F-5Cs at lower speed.
- Variable swept wing design allows impressive performance at any speed.
- Powerful cannon, highly effective at destroying both ground and air targets.
- Wide variety of suspended weapons.
- KAB-500 guided bombs provide all the advantages of air-to-ground missiles with none of their drawbacks.
- The TV-guided weapons lock on to target faster than their NATO counterparts.
- Thanks to its laser targeting system, it is no longer needed to point the nose exactly at the target, just need to point it at the general direction.
- Lacks radar and IRST for air-to-air combat.
- Lacks mid-range missiles.
- The cannon has a spool up time before it can be fired.
- The cannon has a paltry ammunition capacity for its rate of fire, requiring stringent trigger discipline.
- Bad instantaneous turn and roll rate, making it hard to catch most windows at high-speed.
- R-60Ms are easily defeated by countermeasures.
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau (Микоя́н и Гуре́вич Опытное конструкторское бюро)|
|Fighters||MiG-3-15 · MiG-3-15 (BK) · MiG-3-34|
|Jet fighters||MiG-9 · MiG-9 (l)|
|MiG-15 · MiG-15bis · MiG-15bis ISH|
|MiG-21F-13 · MiG-21PFM · MiG-21SMT · MiG-21bis|
|Exports/Licensed||␗MiG-9 · ␗MiG-9 (l)|
|J-2* · ▀MiG-15bis|
|J-4* · MiG-17AS · Shenyang F-5*|
|J-6A* · ▀MiG-19S|
|▀MiG-21MF · J-7II**|
|*Licensed and domesticated with Chinese designations.|
|**Unlicensed, reverse-engineered and domesticated with Chinese designations.|
|See Also||Shenyang · Chengdu|
|USSR jet aircraft|
|Yakovlev||Yak-15 · Yak-15P · Yak-17 · Yak-23 · Yak-28B · Yak-30 · Yak-38 · Yak-38M|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich||MiG-9 · MiG-9 (l) · MiG-15 · MiG-15bis · MiG-15bis ISH · MiG-17 · MiG-17AS · MiG-19PT|
|MiG-21F-13 · MiG-21PFM · MiG-21SMT · MiG-21bis · MiG-23M · MiG-27M|
|Lavochkin||La-174 · La-15 · La-200|
|Sukhoi||Su-9 · Su-11 · Su-7B · Su-7BKL · Su-7BMK · Su-17M2|
|Ilyushin||IL-28 · IL-28Sh|