The 9K127 Vikhr is a Russian beam-riding air-to-ground missile. It was introduced in Update 1.93 "Shark Attack".
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
|Maximum speed||610 m/s|
|Missile guidance time||28 secs|
|Firing range||10 km|
|Guaranteed launch range||8 km|
|Explosive mass||5.16 kg TNTeq|
|Armour penetration||800 mm|
Describe the type of damage produced by this type of missile (high explosive, splash damage, etc)
Comparison with analogues
- AGM-114B Hellfire - While possessing a longer range, and a higher speed than the Hellfire, the Vikhr lacks the advanced Lock-On After Launch capability, requiring constant optical tracking and guidance.
- PARS 3 LR - The PARS-3 very similar to the Hellfire in most ways, but has a shorter range, at 7.0 km, and slower speed, at 290 m/s.
- HOT-3 - It outdoes the HOT-3 in most fields, but is significantly outclassed in penetration potential, as well as post-penetration damage by the HOT-3.
- BGM-71D TOW-2 - It has comparatively lacklustre capabilities, outranged by some 6.25 km and with almost half the speed of the Vikhr. The TOW-2 only outdoes it in terms of availability, and the number which can be equipped at a time, the TOW-2 with 16 missiles, and the Vikhr with 12.
- 9M120 Ataka - It is almost a direct upgrade in a sense. It is slightly faster, has a considerably longer range, and has 50 mm more penetration than the Ataka.
Usage in battles
This can be used to great effect at long distance against tanks, helicopters, and any other slow-moving targets. This missile also has an unlisted secondary ability; the proximity fuse.
The proximity fuse can make fighting other helicopters and some aircraft quite easy.
It can also be used in conjunction with the 9M39 Igla missile, to bait an attacking jet into evading your Igla, losing all of their energy, and then attacking with your Vikhr when they are vulnerable. This tactic can also be used against helicopters, as they tend to have flares or IRCMs, the Vikhr missile is not affected by either.
Pros and cons
- Maximum range of 10 km
- Very high speed relative to other missiles (600 m/s)
- Effectively a dual-purpose missile
- Tandem-charge HEAT warhead
- Proximity fuse allows for air-to-air engagements
- Out-ranges almost all SAM systems, with the notable exception of the MIM146 (10 km) and the VT-1 (12 km)
- Does not appear on radar warning receivers
- Lacks the more sophisticated laser-guidance systems of the Hellfire and PARS 3 missiles
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.