Write an introduction to the article in 2-3 small paragraphs. Briefly tell us about the history of the development and combat using the weaponry and also about its features. Compile a list of air, ground, or naval vehicles that feature this weapon system in the game.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
The Rbs 70 (Robotsystem 70), is a Short-range Air Defense (SHORAD) laser-guided missile system originally designed to be launched from a tripod, but was later adapted to be fired from weapon-platforms and warships. The missile weighs in at 15 kg and features a 1.1 kg warhead comprised of 3,000 tungsten pellets together with a directional shape-charge penetrator.
The missile is powered by an initial booster charge together with a smokeless solid propellant engine making the missile able to reach speeds from mach 1.6 to mach 2 depending on the variant. The missile has an operational range of 250 m - 8 km, and a maximum flight altitude of 5,000 m.
The missile is a so called "beam-rider" and navigates towards a laser designated position, thus requiring the user to continuously "lase" the target until the missile reaches the target.The missile features both a proximity fuse and a direct impact fuse, giving the missile the ability to detonate in close proximity to aircraft or via a direct hit.
The missile features two methods of damage; shrapnel using pre-fragmented tungsten pellets and a shape-charge penetrator with the secondary mostly being used against low-speed targets such as hovering helicopters and slower low-flying aircraft.
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of missiles that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
The Rbs 70 is a short ranged missile with a small payload making it more suitable for engaging helicopters rather than aircraft, even if it is capable of doing so; especially if the missile is intercepting an incoming aircraft. The warhead however is lacking in explosive power thus does not guarantee a one-hit-kill and limits the anti-tank usage of the missile both using the kinetic penetration and the high explosive damage. The laser designation and the smokeless engine makes the missile harder to detect but also forces the user to keep a constant lase on the target making it a bit of a double-edged sword.
Overall, the missile is best utilized in an anti-helicopter role where it is placed in either urban areas with high visibility or at spots where the vehicle or platform of the weapon is well concealed from ground and airstrikes since it is not very effective at firing at armoured targets, both because of the low penetration and the lack of armour on the vehicles carrying it. the user should also avoid engaging high speed disengaging or circling aircraft since the probability of a hit is fairly low.
Pros and cons
- Since the missile navigates by following a continuous laser designation it makes it harder to detect and it can not be avoided using decoys such as flares.
- The missile is relatively lightweight and is thus capable of being used on lighter vehicles giving them higher mobility.
- The missile has a booster charge making the initial acceleration fairly high.
- Can engage less armoured tanks, anti-air, and infantry fighting vehicles.
- The missile requires the user to keep a continuous designation on the target and renders the user vulnerable to both ground and air-attacks.
- The missile travels at a maximum speed of mach 2 making it less capable at engaging aircraft.
- The featured warhead only weighs in at 1.1kg, limiting the velocity of the fragments and the capabilities of the shaped-charge to penetrate armour.
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
- [Wikipedia] RBS 70
- https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotsystem_70 (Swedish)
- https://www.saab.com/products/rbs-70-ng (Latest generation, not currently in-game)