The ASRAD-R is a rank VII Swedish SPAA with a battle rating of 10.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "Hot Tracks".
The ASRAD-R received a number of improvements over the Lvrbv 701: The launcher array is now unmanned and located higher above the ground, which allows for the hull to remain in cover while still being effective in all directions thanks to the increased horizontal traverse angles. With access to 8 long-range supersonic missiles, the ASRAD-R proves to be quite deadly, especially against enemy helicopters.
Survivability and armour
The ASRAD-R uses the chassis of M113 armored personnel carrier. With the whole chassis made up of the fragile Aluminium alloy 5083, any heavy machine gun round that is larger than 7.62 mm can cut through its hull at ease. The ASRAD-R is also very vulnerable to overpressure damage and airstrikes. The crew is fairly spread out which usually helps it survive from a single kinetic shot. However, the engine and transmission are placed in front, thus a frontal shot will likely disable its mobility and bring more shots on the ASRAD-R. A successful penetration on the right side of the hull usually detonates the ammo and blows the whole crew up. The unmanned turret contains several critical modules of the fire control system, and the exposed ammo is very volatile to overpressure damage. Thankfully, the ASRAD-R has 8 rounds of smoke grenades which might save your life from the enemy ATGM on occasion.
- Aluminium alloy 5083 (hull, turret, engine maintenance hatch)
- Rolled homogeneous armour (engine vents, top hatch)
- Rubber-fabric screens (side skirts)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 38 mm (45°) Upper Glacis
38.1 mm (25°) Lower Glacis
29 mm (45°) Engine Maintenance Hatch
| 44 mm Top
32 mm Bottom
|38.1 mm|| 38.1 mm |
10 mm Engine vents
|Turret||25.4 mm||25.4 mm||25.4 mm||25.4 mm|
- Suspension wheels are 10 mm thick, and tracks are 15 mm thick.
- Side skirts are 4 mm thick.
As a tracked vehicle, the ASRAD-R adjusts to narrow and rugged terrains and has decent flexibility to evade and take cover while moving. In spite of that, the average speed of ASRAD-R is around 30-40 km/h, and its acceleration and climbing ability aren't so impressive compared to its firepower.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|Rbs 70 missile||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|RB 70 Mk.2||SAM||200||200||200||200||200||200|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (kg)
|RB 70 Mk.2||SAM||580||7,000||16.5||0.05||0.1||300||3||1.44||79°||80°||81°|
|2||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Horizontal traverse of 360° allows for more flexibility compared to the Lvrbv 701
- BOLIDE missiles with greater range (9 km) and velocity (700 m/s) are a tier II modification
- Access to 1st generation thermals and high magnification in the gunner sight
- Can fire 4 missiles before reloading
- Opto-electronic tracker for locking hostile aircraft without triggering LWS
- Limited anti-ground capabilities due to poor gun depression of -5° and low penetration of 200 mm
- Subpar mobility and armour protection as a result of using the M113 chassis
- High profile and thus easy to spot, especially when the radar is active
- Limited elevation (+35°) causes trouble when fighting
- Relies on thermal sight to find the hostile aircraft because the opto-electronic tracker can't detect the target in the third-person view
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
- Related development
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Strv 103||Strv 103-0 · Strv 103A · Strv 103С|
|Tank Destroyers||SAV 20.12.48 · Bkan 1C|
|See Also||BAE Systems AB|
|*Saab Bofors Dynamics|
|Sweden anti-aircraft vehicles|
|SPAA||Pvlvv fm/42 · Lvtdgb m/40 · Pbv 301 · Lvkv 42|
|Radar SPAA||VEAK 40 · Lvkv 9040C|
|SAM||Lvrbv 701 · ASRAD-R|
|Finland||L-62 ANTI II · ▄ZSU-57-2 · ItO 90M · ItPsV 90|