|This page is about the American fighter P-39N-0. For other uses, see P-39 (Family).|
The P-39N-0 Airacobra is a Rank II American fighters with a battle rating of 3.3 (AB) and 3.0 (RB/SB). It was introduced into the game sometime prior to Update 1.27.
The primary purpose of a P-39 is that of a low-level interceptor against low energy aircraft. It lacks the high-altitude performance needed to engage strategic-bombers. The 37mm M4's dropping trajectory and slow rate of fire make it useless in head-on passes. Therefore, prioritise low altitude objectives, like escorting attackers & low alt bombers, or prey on the ones of the enemy.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,048 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,048 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 360||< 380||< 450||> 312|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|3,724 m||1,125 hp||1,556 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 15.87 mm Steel - Propeller hub
- 15.87 mm Steel - Plate in front of the cockpit
- 7 mm Steel - Plate over instrument cluster
- 6 mm Steel - Upper pilot's seat and headrest encasement
- 6 mm Steel - Rear tail
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass - Windscreen
- 64 mm Bulletproof glass - Headrest of pilot's seat
The P-39N-0 is armed with:
- 1 x 37 mm M4 cannon, nose-mounted (30 rpg)
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine gun, nose-mounted (200 rpg = 400 total)
- 4 x 7.62 mm Browning machine guns, wing-mounted (500 rpg outer, 1,000 rpg inner = 3,000 total)
The P-39N-0 can outfit the following ordinance options:
- Without load
- 6 x 118 mm M8 Bazookas
Usage in battles
Basic dogfighting skills apply. Use energy tactics and only fire the cannon only under optimum conditions. A separate key for the main gun is advised. Otherwise utilise the given machine guns at every opportunity. Especially those 7,92 light machine guns in the wings, with 750 rounds per gun you wont run dry that fast. The center/cowling mounted .50cals provide great long range accuracy & harassment.
"Jack of all trades, master of none" is the credo of the Airacobra. Thus the basic tactic is to analyze your opponents weakness and then exploit it. The P-39 will always find an area, it is exceeding the foe. Or at least, is on par to let the skill decide. Given the P-39's sleek and rather aerodynamic form, BnZ is the preferred form of combat. However TnB is an option as well. Again, the P-39 provides all the options a pilot wants "Jack of all traits, master of none".
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Controllable||Controllable||Controllable||Separate||Not controllable||Not controllable|
|I||Fuselage Repair||Radiator||Offensive 7 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs||Offensive 12 mm|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||Offensive 37 mm||New 12 mm MGs|
|IV||Engine Injection||Cover||New 37 mm Cannons||Rocker Launcher M10|
Pros and cons
- Absurd climb rate when upgraded (nearly 25 m/s)
- Heavy Armament
- Great Dive Speed Acceleration/Pickup
- Reasonable Turn Time
- Great amount of 7.62 (.306) ammo (750 RPG)
- "Jack of all trades, but master of none"
- Three different weapon trajectories make aiming difficult, although this is less of a problem if you are a proficient P-400 pilot
- Long countdown for the 37 mm in both overheating and reload
- Easy to stall with full controls
- Cannot fire the 2 MGs separately
- Ammunition count for the M2s is low, limiting their usage time
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's devblog entry (if applicable) and the ingame encyclopedia description (under
=== Encyclopedia Info ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.