1 х 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombSetup 3
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 5
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 6
1 х 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 7
|This page is about the aircraft P-47D-25. For other uses, see P-47 (Disambiguation)|
The P-47D-25 Thunderbolt is a Rank III American strike fighter with a battle rating of 3.3 (AB), 4.3 (RB), and 3.7 (SB). It was in the game since the start of the Open Beta Test prior to Update 1.29.
Like the P-51D Mustang, the P-47D-25 is one of the iconic fighters of the USAAF and thus one of the most powerful. The wing of the British Spitfire melded with the iconic Pratt and Whitney R-2800 and bulky body, the P-47 is truly a force to be reckoned with, possessing very good performance, weaponry, and load out. The `Jug´ is thus one of the best fighters in the USAF line; possessing the hallmarks of a great fighter and the capability of a fast attacker.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 9,114 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 9,114 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 380||< 420||< 450||> 250|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|7,350 m||2,000 hp||2,300 hp|
Survivability and armour
- No armour plating
- No armour glazing
- Critical components located at front of aircraft (fuel, pilot, engine, controls)
- More fuel tanks located in wings near fuselage
The P-47D-25 is armed with:
- 8 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine guns, wing-mounted (425 rpg = 3400 total)
The P-47D-25 can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- 1 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb (500 lb total)
- 2 x 1000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets
- 2 x 1000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs + 1 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb (2,500 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 1 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb (500 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 2 x 1000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 2 x 1000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs + 1 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb (2,500 lb total)
Usage in the battles
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
|I||Airframe Repair||Radiator||Offensive 12 mm|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||New 12 mm MGs||FRC mk.2|
|IV||G-Suit||Fuel Injection||Cover||FLBC mk.1|
- Climb rate and acceleration is a big issue for the stock P-47D. Focus on Compressor, Engine, Wing repairs and Engine Injection first. During this performance focused grind, you can additionally research New 12.7 mm and the various payload modules to unlock the higher tiers for the better performance upgrades.
Pros and cons
- Great at diving and Boom & Zoom
- Great interceptor
- It is the perfect multirole aircraft
- Impressive speed, great engine performance above 6,000 m
- It is very rugged
- Impressive firepower of 8 x 12.7 mm M2 browning machine guns
- Plenty of ammo
- First plane in the U.S tech tree to gain access to pure API-T ammo belts
- Very fast for it's tier and current battle rating
- One of the few fighters that can carry both bombs and rockets at the same time, making it excellent for ground attack
- By using opposite rudder and aileron controls, for example, left rudder and right aileron, the Thunderbolt can "skid" quickly in in the direction the rudder. Very useful to dodge shots. Works for both the D-25 and D-28.
- Battle rating of 3.0 gives the plane a significant advantages over other planes in terms of technical specifications, provided one can play it to it's strengths.
- Impressive payload. When full researched, the P-47s can carry two 1,000 lb bombs and one 500 lb bomb,as well as the rockets.
- Terrible turning time at low altitude/low speed
- Mediocre climb performance (side climbing recommended)
- Larger than average fighters
- Poor overall performance when mounting payloads
- After attacking ground targets, the P-47 lacks the altitude to Boom & Zoom enemy fighters.
Developed by North Republic Aviation, the main role of the P-47 Thunderbolt was Bomber Escort, at high altitude the 'Jug' could contend with the latest from the Luftwaffe. The design was to also include much better protection for the pilot by having increased armor around the cockpit, however this increased it's weight substantially. It was the first American fighter to receive more than the standard 6 x .50 caliber M2 Browning Machine guns, a total of 8 all together. Making it the most powerful Allied aircraft in terms of firepower at the time. Thanks to its rugged design, The Thunderbolt was able to take a considerable beating, more so than other allied aircraft, also with it's sturdy airframe and reliable radial engine, the 'Jug' quickly took on the roll of ground attack, able to arm itself with 2500 lbs of bombs and rockets. All in all the Thunderbolt was one of the most successful allied aircraft during the war, even with the introduction of the faster and more nimble P-51 Mustang, later modifications of the Thunderbolt would go on to see action in the later part of the Pacific Campaign against the Imperial Japanese Navy.
A total of 385 D-25 Models of the P-47 were constructed. This model was the first to receive the teardrop canopy. It was also fitted with an increased supply of oxygen and some systems were repositioned for higher fuel capacity.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.