1 х 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombSetup 3
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 5
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 6
1 х 500 lb AN-M64A1 bomb
10 х HVAR rocketsSetup 7
|This page is about the aircraft P-47N-15. For other uses, see P-47 (Disambiguation)|
The P-47N-15 Thunderbolt is a Rank IV American strike fighter with a battle rating of 5.0 (AB/RB) and 4.7 (SB). It was introduced in Update 1.61 "Road to Glory".
The P-47N-15 can in many ways be considered an more specialized fighter version of the P-47D series of fighters, being built solely for a boom and zoom strategy. The key difference separating the P-47N from both the D-series and other planes in general at the battle rating is it's top speed and maneuverability. bordering on just below 800 km/h, and with an airframe that can support it. This, coupled with its 8 devastating M2 .50 Brownings make it an extremely deadly and dangerous opponent.
The P-47N also has clipped wing tips, allowing it higher level flight speed and giving it a much more controllable and faster roll rate. However, these wings widened the landing gear base and added room for more fuel tanks to be added to increase its range. This however added quite a lot of weight reducing its climb rate. But Despite its clipped wings, the P-47N actually gained wing area over the other models of P-47. overall Improving its pitch tremendously.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 9,144 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 9,144 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 380||< 420||< 450||> 250|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|7,350 m||2,000 hp||2,300 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 9.5 mm Steel - Fore cockpit plate
- 9.5 mm Steel - Armor plate behind Pilot's seat
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass - Windshield
The P-47N-15 is armed with:
- 8 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine guns, wing-mounted (500 rpg = 4,000 total)
The P-47N-15 can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- Without load
- 1 x 500 lb bomb (500 lb total)
- 2 x 1000 lb bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 2 x 1000 lb bombs + 1 x 500 lb bomb (2,500 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm rockets
- 10 x 127 mm rockets + 1 x 500 lb bomb (500 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm rockets + 2 x 1000 lb bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 10 x 127 mm rockets + 2 x 1000 lb bombs + 1 x 500 lb bomb (2,500 lb total)
Usage in the battles
How to offensively Engage an enemy aircraft: From the start of the match you want to start by gaining altitude. Side climbing is heavily recommended, as many planes at the P-47's BR climb much faster vertically. Once at a high enough altitude, the P-47's greatest strength is its speed. It has great acceleration and great speed from most altitudes. From there your main operation of attack will be the simple boom and zoom tactic, or Boom & Zoom. Making good use of its amazing energy retention. However it isn't strictly limited to this role. the P-47N has very strong elevator and rudder authority. While it is not the most recommended tactic, if you are at a higher speed you can dog fight most planes for short periods of time. So long as you make use of vertical space as well as horizontal while you do it and watch your speed.
How to perform defensive fighting: The P-47N's primary defensive strength is it's powerful engine and good energy retention. As well, its maneuverability is not too bad as either. With its decent roll rate you are able to do repeated rolling maneuvers to keep out of an enemies gun sights. As a last resort if you need to. You can confidently put it in a full 90 degree dive until they pull off. It is very difficult to rip the wings of the P-47N- a great deal of speed is required.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
|I||Fuselage Repair||Radiator||Offensive 12 mm|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||New 12 mm MGs||FRC mk.2|
|IV||G-Suit||Engine Injection||Cover||FLBC mk.1|
- First and foremost the Offensive 12 mm should be researched. The next step should be to rush Compressor, Engine, and Engine Injection. The proceeding choice should be between the new machine guns or the G-Suit (if you have weaker pilots, choose the G-Suit first over machine guns). The remaining modules can then be unlocked in any order desired.
Pros and cons
- Tracer belts consists entirely of M20 API-T ammo, which shred and burn through all planes
- One of the Fastest propeller driven aircraft currently available
- 8 x 12.7 mm machine guns provide a very respectable damage output and a lot of projectiles, Capable of even taking out bombers reliably
- Excellent high altitude performance
- Excellent energy retention
- Strong wings, can withstand a high speed dive much better than any other aircraft.
- Durable engine and airframe that can take a beating.
- Very responsive rudder and elevator controls
- While at high speed can turn better than many planes it faces for a very brief duration (not necessarily recommended)
- Lousy maneuverability at low speeds
- Lower than average climb rate, slightly slower in comparison to a P-51D-30 (mostly offset by its interceptor spawn)
- At its weakest at low altitude (yet still decently strong overall)
- Extremely slow and sluggish if taken out with a full fuel load. (not recommended to use its full fuel load for any game mode in game)
- Machine guns are mounted very far apart
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.