1 backGear box
The AMX-13 (SS.11) is a gift Rank IV French light tank with a battle rating of 6.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.75 "La Résistance". After Update 1.81 "The Valkyries" this vehicle was removed from purchase. Update 1.83 "Masters of the Sea" saw the return of this vehicle for 7,480 Golden Eagles.
The AMX-13 (SS.11) only difference from the AMX-13 light tank series is that rack of four deadly SS.11 missiles in the oscillating turret front. Everything else from the two protruding radio antennas to thee four smoke dischargers are quite identical to the original AMX-13 model.
Survivability and armour
- Cast homogeneous armour (Turret base, Turret front)
- Rolled homogeneous armour
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 20 mm (67°) Front glacis
20-40 mm (5-50°) Lower glacis
|20 mm|| 15 mm Top
15 mm (45°) Bottom
| 10 mm |
5 mm Engine grille
|Turret|| 40 mm (32-47°) Turret front
40 mm (12-41°) Turret base
40 mm (15-75°) Barrel shroud
| 20 mm (0-30°) Turret
20 mm (12-14°) Turret base
| 20 mm Turret bustle
20 mm (17-22°) Pivot ball
10 mm (77-90°) Turret underside
|Cupola||20 mm||10 mm|
- Suspension wheels and tracks are 15 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 10 mm thick.
- 8 mm Structural steel firewall separates the driver from the engine.
- The track and wheel on the front glacis offer about 15 mm structural steel thickness.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armor
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|75 mm SA50 L/57|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|36||31 (+5)||27 (+9)||22 (+14)||17 (+19)||12 (+24)||6 (+30)||1 (+35)||no|
Rack #6 and #7 are ready racks for the autoloader.
|164 mm SS-11 ATGM|
|7.5 mm MAC 31|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
Usage in the battles
The AMX-13 is a flanker. This combined with the SS.11 ATGMs on board gives the ability to do two different styles. Either to zoom around (shoot’n’scoot) or stand far back and send missiles flying towards the enemies. In RB though, the missiles are controlled by WASD, making aiming a little bit more difficult. Furthermore, avoid getting shot at all cost! The armour might save you from 0.50 cals, but 14.5 mm and larger will destroy the vehicle in its entirety. Flanking is a viable option, done in the same way as M18, without the penetration needed for frontal armour.
The AMX-13 (SS.11) is exceptionally fast and agile, but sacrifices armour to achieve this. Due to this, it's best to use this tank as either a hit-and-fade flanker or as a standoff sniper, especially with the SS.11 ATGMs onboard.
Try to get around areas that enemy tanks would not typically expect a light tank to be and wait in ambush position for enemy tanks to pass through. Due to being able to get a shot at the sides, the cannon should be used for the first shot, and especially so due to the auto-loading system able to load in rounds in about six seconds. Utilize the SS.11 missiles during these reload times to ensure that the enemy target is annihlated.
As a stand off sniper, don't be anywhere too near the front line where allies and enemies are duking it out. Try to stay around the corner, only peeking out a bit only to hit at an enemy not paying attention with the 75 mm cannon, or precision targeting with the SS.11 missiles. Take care not to hit any allies when firing the missiles from a distance.
Pros and cons
- Main cannon autoloader with 12 shots ready to go.
- Nice cannon that will penetrate sides of other vehicles.
- A total of four (4) SS.11 Missiles ready to go.
- SS.11 penetrates 600 mm of 90 degrees RHA at any range.
- SS.11 has a rather small dead zone of about 200 meters, more useful in closer engagements.
- Mobile enough to flank.
- AMX-13 low profile allows for easier concealability among terrain.
- Has great acceleration to get up to speed.
- Has four smoke dischargers, just in case.
- Cannon may not be reliable enough to penetrate vehicles from the front at this rank.
- After the turret auto-loader is done, gun will not fire or reload until a ready rack is replenished.
- Auto-loader means loaded rounds are homogeneous and lacking in flexibility, loading HE will offer 12 HE rounds only.
- SS.11 still has a dead zone that makes it unusable in point-blank engagements.
- Missiles are aimed with WASD movement keys, tank must be stopped when guiding missile to target (RB/SB).
- Missile racks cover up a portion of the sight from the tank gunner's persepctive.
- Non-existent armour, but will protect against the .50 cal M2.
- Aerial strafing may penetrate through the roof armour
- HESH (High Explosive Squash Head) and HE obliterates this vehicle.
- SPAA can and will obliterate the AMX-13.
- Three crew members in a cramped tank means easy one-hit kills and inability to take a loss without dip in combat efficiency.
- Top speed is rather poor for a light tank.
- Smoke discharger fire all at once, player will have to make the most of that one screen.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|France light tanks|
|AMC||AMC.34 YR · AMC.35 (ACG.1)|
|AMX||AMX-13 (FL11) · AMX-13 · AMX-13-90 · AMX-13 (HOT) · AMX-13 (SS.11)|
|Hotchkiss||H.35 · H.39 · H.39 «Cambronne»|
|FCM.36 · R.39 · Char 25t|
|France premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||H.39 «Cambronne» · AMX-13 (SS.11)|
|Medium tanks||M4A1 (FL10) · AMX-30|
|Heavy tanks||B1 ter|
|Tank destroyers||Lorraine 155 Mle.50|