|This page is about the French heavy tank AMX-50 Surbaisse. For other versions, see AMX-50 (Family).|
The AMX-50 Surbaissé is a rank V French heavy tank with a battle rating of 7.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.75 "La Résistance". On the battlefield, the vehicle is very easy to recognize due to its shape which simply cannot be mistaken for another French tank.
The AMX-50 Surbaissé differs from every heavy tank in its general playstyle, since it has rather thin armour which will not protect it against incoming enemy fire, you have to use its medium tank like mobility to perform deadly flank attacks which will often prove very catastrophic for the enemy team. Indeed, since you can keep up with most medium tanks and even outpace some, especially the British medium tanks, many enemies will find themselves completely caught off guard and at the mercy of your autoloading 120 mm gun which will allow you to kill one tank every 6 seconds. The tank is also a great long-range sniper (1,500 m and beyond) as it comes equipped with a rangefinder that will allow you to range very quickly distant targets and deliver accurate shots upon them, also at such distances, your armour will start to be difficult to penetrate for most lower rank gun you'll encounter. Overall this tank, while being a heavy tank, is not meant to be played as such since it does not behave as such. You must use your mobility and your accurate fast-firing armament to prove effective against the enemies you'll come across
Survivability and armour
- Cast homogeneous armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour (Hull sides, Hull rear, Hull roof)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 60 mm (30-85°) Front glacis
100 mm (8-57°) Joint plate
60 mm (21-74°) Bottom glacis
| 30-60 mm (0-23°) Top
30 mm Bottom
|30 mm (0-50°)||20 mm|
|Turret||-|| 60 mm Turret
40-60 mm (0-12°) Turret base
| 40 mm (0-30°) Turret bustle
20 mm (21-31°) Pivot ball
10 mm (69-76°) Turret underside
|Cupola||60 mm||60 mm||60 mm||20 mm|
- Suspension wheels are 15 mm thick while tracks are 30 mm thick.
- Wheels are interleaved to offer stacked protection values.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|120 mm SA46||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|120 mm Obus explosif||HE||39||39||39||39||39||39|
|120 mm Obus de rupture||APBC||301||298||286||272||258||245|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|120 mm Obus explosif||HE||762||22.84||0||0.1||4,650||79°||80°||81°|
|120 mm Obus de rupture||APBC||1,067||23.1||N/A||N/A||N/A||47°||60°||65°|
|38||36 (+2)||34 (+4)||32 (+6)||30 (+8)||25 (+13)||20 (+18)||1 (+37)||Yes|
- Shells are modeled individually and disappear after having been shot or loaded.
- The visual discrepancy concerns the crossed out racks: they are modeled but always empty.
- Rack 7 (autoloader magazine) is a first stage ammo rack. It totals 19 shells.
- This rack gets filled first when loading up the tank and is also emptied first.
- As the AMX-50 Surbaisse is equipped with an autoloader, manual reloading of the gun is not possible.
- Once the autoloader magazines have been depleted, you can't shoot until the loader has restocked the autoloader. The restocking time is longer than the normal reload time of the gun. Take this into account when playing.
- Simply not firing when the gun is loaded will move ammo from racks 1 to 6 into rack 7. Firing will interrupt the restocking of the ready racks.
- The depletion order at full capacity is: 7 - 1 - 2 up to 6.
|7.5 mm AAT-52|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Playing the AMX 50 Surbaissé requires 2 things:
- Good map knowledge
- Gunnery discipline
As mentioned previously, the AMX 50 Surbaissé is not heavy, that probably is something you'll learn the hard way while playing your first matches in this tank. You have to play it like a medium tank and you always should try to look for a good flanking route that will eventually get you to a spot where you'll be able to decimate several tanks of the enemy team from the side of from behind. As a result, this tank requires a lot of forethinking before deciding which way to go and this decision must be taken in accordance with the map but also in accordance with what nation you face. The tank can also be used as a very effective long-range sniper especially in down tiers. The combination of fast-firing 120 mm gun and rangefinder can prove very effective especially at a range over 1,500 m where your armour will start to matter especially against a lower-ranked opponent such as Tiger IIs. To turn this vehicle into a deadly sniping machine, it is very much advised to bind rangefinding keys and sight adjustment that are intuitive to you. In this way you will be able to range targets and adjust the gun very accurately in such a way that, with practice and discipline will grant you the ability to deliver shots in a "Point aimed, Point hit" fashion.
Every enemy you can encounter which do not result from deliberate up tiers from the enemy can and will easily get through your armour. The tank's armour cannot withstand guns that are more powerful than the German 7.5 cm KwK 42 or the US 90 mm M3 gun
Pros and cons
- Powerful 120 mm gun
- Reload of just 6 seconds
- Large autoloader magazine (19 shots)
- Very good AP round with high penetration power
- Extremely fast turret rotation speed when upgraded, especially for a heavy tank (characteristic of oscillating turrets)
- Good acceleration
- Average top speed of about 48 km/h
- 4 Smoke Grenades
- Gun elevation & depression angles are poor
- Armour values are inadequate against expected opponents
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|France heavy tanks|
|B1||B1 bis · B1 ter|
|AMX-50||Somua SM · AMX-50 Surbaissé · AMX-50 Surblindé|