4 km/h back46 km/h forward
4 km/h backSpeed
The Panther "Dauphiné" is a premium rank IV French medium tank with a battle rating of 5.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.91 "Night Vision". It is a French-captured example of the Panther G found in the German tree with a few cosmetic differences like missing side skirts and new French markings.
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour
- Cast homogeneous armour (Gun mantlet, Cupola)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 80 mm (55°) Front glacis
50 mm (56°) Lower glacis
| 50 mm (30°) Top
41.5 mm Bottom
|40 mm (24°)||17 mm|
|Turret|| 110 mm Turret front
100 mm Gun mantlet
|45 mm||45 mm||15 mm|
|Cupola||80 mm||16 mm|
- Belly armour front part is 18 mm thick while the back part is 15 mm thick.
- Turret right side is covered in tracks, providing 20 mm extra thickness.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|75 mm KwK42||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|82||80 (+2)||74 (+8)||62 (+20)||50 (+32)||38 (+44)||26 (+56)||22 (+60)||12 (+70)||4 (+78)||1 (+81)||Yes|
- Right side empty: 50 (+32) or both sides empty: 22 (+60)
|7.92 mm MG34|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
As with all other Panther-series medium tanks, it is best played in a supporting role or as a front-line offensive tank due to its agility. The cannon is more than forgiving and powerful enough to destroy any potential target, so use it to an advantage; long-range shooting is effective as the muzzle velocity is extremely high, owing to the long-barreled 75 mm, the penetration values are more than capable of punching through any opposing armour, and the shell weight will, if the shell penetrates, consistently deal decent amounts of crew and module damage, if not immediately make the target on combat ineffective.
This tank, however, owing to its "mailbox" gun mantlet design, is not a good combatant frontally, especially at its BR; many enemy tanks will find the gun mantlet a juicy target. Never engage in extended frontal skirmishes with enemy tanks; instead, use the high mobility as much as possible. Don't stay in one place as much as possible, shoot and scoot before the enemy can react shoot through the mantlet.
Another thing to note: the only difference between this and the German Panther G is the absence of side skirts and the thicker lower part of the mantlet, as well as the French markings on the side of the gun mantlet and the tank's name at the hull rear. This is useful in Simulator battles because if you were to put German markings over the French ones you may just pass as a German tank. Take that as you will and warn the people on your team not to shoot you.
|II||Suspension||Brake System||FPE||Adjustment of Fire|
|III||Filters||Crew Replenishment||Elevation Mechanism||Smoke grenade|
|This is a premium vehicle: all modifications are unlocked on purchase|
Pros and cons
- Excellent cannon with great stock AP for common targets (eg. Tiger H1, Pz.IV H and M4A3E2) and HE for light vehicles. Great accuracy and velocity allows easy long-range sniping. Plenty of ammo capacity means flexible ammo setups.
- Heavily armoured frontal hull is immune to most guns like the 75 mm Kwk 40, 88 mm L/56 and 76 mm M1.
- Fast top speed and good hull traverse. Can get to positions in time.
- Adequate gun depression of -8° adapts most terrains well.
- Has RP and SL bonus due to it being premium
- Does not face threatening opponents (eg. IS-2) as much as the German one would, increasing survivability
- Gun mantlet is only 100 mm, a huge and well-known weakspot to shoot at. 76mm Sherman, Pz.IV G / H / J, Tiger H1 can easily penetrate it.
- Side ammo racks are prone to detonation when hit.
- Terrible reverse speed of only -4 km/h, can get the player killed.
- No access to APCR meaning it struggles to deal with tanks encountered in a uptier like Ho-Ri, Tiger II(H) and Ferdinand.
- Very identical appearance to the German Panthers, and can get hit by friendly fire a lot in simulator mode
- Weak side armour gets penetrated easily by Russian APHEBC (mixed battle). Cannot angle too much.
- Lower glacis often catches fire or brakes transmission when penetrated, leaving the tank immobile and vulnerable.
- High profile for a medium tank makes it harder to hide.
- Weak roof armour is vulnerable to strafers like IL-2 (Germany) or Hs-129 B3
- Although heavily armoured, it can still get frontally penetrated by common British tanks like the Sherman Firefly.
The Panther "Dauphiné" was part of a large french program of rehabilitations of Panzers left by the Wermacht after D-Day. This program was led by the Captain Besnier who suceeded to form a little tank brigade of almost 20 old panzers: mostly Panzer IVs but also 2 Panthers and even 2 Tigers. The "Commando Besnier" fought during the encirclement of Saint-Nazaire, the last city still under german control on the 11 of May 1945 and then took part in the French Occupation of Germany at the end of the war. Some of the tanks have been attributed to the 3rd Armored Division at the end of 1945 and were kept mobilized for some months before being replaced. Some of the models have been given to museum (the Tiger can be seen in the museum of Saumur in France).
Nicknames after french regions have been given to every Besnier's tanks: Tiger "Colmar", Tiger "Bretagne", Panther "Dauphiné".
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
- Luc Braeuer " L'incroyable histoire de la poche Saint-Nazaire" (french)
|France medium tanks|
|D2 · S.35 · Lorraine 40t|
|AMX||AMX M4 · AMX-32 · AMX-40 · AMX-50|
|AMX-30||AMX-30 · AMX-30 (1972) · AMX-30B2 · AMX-30B2 BRENUS · AMX-30 ACRA · AMX-30 Super|
|Leclerc||Leclerc · Leclerc S2|
|Based on M4||▄M4A1 · M4A1 (FL10) · ▄M4A3 (105) · ▄M4A4 · M4A4 (SA50)|
|Foreign||Panther "Dauphiné" (Germany)|
|France premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||H.39 "Cambronne" · AMX-13 (SS.11) · AMX-13-M24|
|Medium tanks||M4A1 (FL10) · Panther "Dauphiné" · AMX-30 · AMX-30 Super|
|Heavy tanks||B1 ter · Somua SM|
|Tank destroyers||Lorraine 155 Mle.50|