6,730 articles and growing thanks to your support!
The War Thunder Wiki is a community effort, only a WT forum account is required to join us
. We need YOU for this ultimate guide!
War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armoured vehicles, and fleets.
Available for Windows, Linux, SteamOS, PS4 and Mac. System requirements for all systems.
Article of the month: November
User-made Sighting Reticles
In Update 1.73 "Vive la France", the ability to create user-made sighting reticles designs for ground vehicles was added into the game.
User-made sights work like user-made camouflage, i.e. they’re applied individually to each vehicle, and they’re not made in a graphical editor, but by changing the settings block in the sight file.
To start using user-made sights in the game, decide which ground vehicle you want to use your new sight with.
- Take the vehicle for a Test Drive, then go to game settings → Main → Tank battle settings.
- In the heading “Use alternative sight grid”, select “Add a grid sight”.
- In the UserSights folder in the game directory, a folder will be created with the name of the selected vehicle and a BLK file (sight_1), which is an example of a standard sight.
- Without exiting the game, copy the user-made sight into the created folder with the vehicle name.
- Go back to the game, press Alt+F9 to update the game data and select the imported sight.
There can be an unlimited number of different sights per vehicle. This means you can create a collection in one folder of various sights to have the ability to switch between them.
Find alternative sights on War Thunder LIVE or share your own.
Continue reading for more details!
Featured historic article
Panzerjäger I - The first German Tank Hunter
There is no need to introduce German tank destroyers, serving during the World War 2. But only one of them was the first German dedicated tank destroyer – the small and light Panzerjäger I. In War Thunder, if you just started your way down the German ground forces technological tree, the Panzerjäger I will be your first tank destroyer as well, being a rank I vehicle with the BR value of 1.7.
The Panzerjäger I’s story start with the PzKpfw I German light tank. This tank, originally designed to be a training vehicle, was armed only with dual rifle-calibre machine guns, and was thus absolutely unfit for combatting enemy armour – a weakness discovered during the Spanish Civil War. Despite that, the Panzer I continued to be used as a frontline vehicle even during initial campaigns of the Second World War. Even before the outbreak of the war, the tank was however already hopelessly obsolete with its machine-gun only armament and light armour, and was next to useless in frontline service.
Germany however possessed hundreds of them in 1939, and the idea to simply phase them out was considered to be potential waste of good chassis. An idea was thus proposed to convert PzKpfw I tanks into an interim light tank destroyer, a vehicle specially designed to combat enemy tanks. During the conversion process, the running gear and chassis were unchanged. The turret was removed and replaced by a lightly armoured casemate, which was open from the top and from the rear (very similar conversion resulted in the Flakpanzer I anti-aircraft vehicle, also available in War Thunder). The new vehicle was designated as the Panzerjäger I ("Tank Hunter").
-Author: Jan "RayPall" Kozák
Read the rest of the article here!
Visit the Panzerjäger I Wiki page here!
Did you know that...
- You are able to zoom into the minimap by moving your mouse cursor over the map and scrolling in? You need to assign the following settings to be able to do this: in control settings, make sure "show mouse cursor" is enabled.
- With 3000 rounds per minute, the American 20 mm M168 Vulcan gatling gun on the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System is the fastest firing weapon in the game?
- Pressing with the cursor on the map seen while pressing "M" will signal the team to pay attention to the specific sector?
- Different steel types exist for armour? Every metal has got its own modifier e.g. cast steel is only 90% as strong as rolled homogenes steel (which is the standard armour plate). All part of the damage mechanics.
- Reducing the vehicles ammo load, affects the ammo storage by making them smaller and once empty disappear. Empty Ammo Racks cannot be exploded and are literally empty space.
- Rockets can be shot down mid-air by gun fire?
- By binding a button to "Manual Engine Control" under the "Full Aircraft Control" tab in the controls menu, you can control the engine settings manually in RB and SB, even when using Mouse Aim controls and potentially achieve better performance.
- There is no cow level in War Thunder!
- The planes with the most weapons are the PBJ-1J and BV-238? The PBJ-1J has twelve offensive M2 Brownings in the nose and six Brownings in defensive turrets, while the BV-238 has sixteen 13mm MG131 machine guns and two MG151/20 cannons in defensive turrets.
- Torpedoes can destroy bridges too, if they hit the pillars.
- Further they can destroy tanks and floatplanes, if they're in the water.
- As most torpedoes travel at certain depths, they will detonate upon impact on shore. With a radius & penetration exceeding 30m and 300mm, killing tanks in the vicinity is possible for these swimming 270kg of pure Torpex explosives.
- Most bombs are general-purpose bombs (medium capacity) i.e. their pure explosive content is 50% of the bombs total wheight.
- Your aiming reticle in Arcade adjusts for the slowest bullet of your guns. Thus with the P-39 only one caliber (the slower 37mm, not faster 7.7mm) will hit in turn-fights.
Click me to read more!