120 mm/45 3rd Year Type (120 mm)
Write an introduction to the article in 2-3 small paragraphs. Briefly tell us about the history of the development and combat using the weaponry and also about its features. Compile a list of air, ground, or naval vehicles that feature this weapon system in the game.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the cannon or machine gun.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|1,000 m||2,500 m||5,000 m||7,500 m||10,000 m||15,000 m|
|Type 1 HE||HE||24||24||24||24||24||24|
|Type 0 HE||HE-TF||24||24||24||24||24||24|
|Type 1 SAP||SAP||74||53||38||31||28||27|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Type 1 HE||HE||850||20.33||0||0.1||1,950||79°||80°||81°|
|Type 0 HE||HE-TF||850||20.33||0||0.1||1,950||79°||80°||81°|
|Type 1 SAP||SAP||850||20.4||0||0.1||1,870||47°||60°||65°|
Comparison with analogues
- 120 mm/45 10th year type (120 mm) - Japanese cannon with same shell characteristics. Typically found on late war destroyers as secondary armament.
- L45 (120 mm) - German cannon which is found on K-2 ships causing this ship to be one of most feared in its battle rating. It has a slower velocity of 808 m/s but makes up with a bigger explosive mass of 2.7 kg of TNT per shell.
- 4.7 inch/45 Mk.XII (120 mm) - British cannon typically found on destroyers. Comparable velocity to the L45, however, it packs a bigger explosive mass of 3 kg of TNT per shell.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
Summarise and briefly evaluate the weaponry in terms of its characteristics and combat effectiveness. Mark pros and cons as a list.
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the weapon;
- other literature.
|Japan naval cannons|
|20 mm||JM61 · Type 98|
|25 mm||25 mm/60 Type 96|
|37 mm||Type 4 · Type 11 pattern 1922|
|57 mm||Type 97|
|75 mm||Type 88 AA|
|76 mm||3-inch/40 Type 41 · 8 cm/40 3rd Year Type · 8 cm/60 Type 98|
|100 mm||100/65 mm Type 98 mod A|
|120 mm||120 mm/45 3rd Year Type · 120 mm/45 10th year type · 120 mm/45 Type 10|
|127 mm||5 inch/40 Type 89 · 127 mm/50 3rd Year Type|
|140 mm||140 mm/50 3rd Year Type|
|152 mm||6-inch/45 Type 41 · 15 cm/50 Type 41|
|155 mm||155 mm/60 3rd Year Type|
|200 mm||20 cm 3rd year type No.1|
|203 mm||20 cm/50 3rd year type No.2|
|356 mm||36 cm/45 Type 41|
|40 mm||Bofors L/60 Mark 1 (USA) · Bofors L/60 Mark 3 (USA) · 40 mm/62 Vickers (Britain)|
|76 mm||3 inch Mk.33 (USA) · 3-inch Mk.34 (USA)|
|120 mm||4,7-inch/40 Armstrong (Britain)|
|127 mm||5 inch/38 Mk.12 (USA)|
|305 mm||12-inch/45 Vickers (Britain) · 12-inch/50 Vickers (Britain)|