Type 4 (37 mm)
The 37 mm Type 4 is a naval derivative of the 37 mm Type 94 currently found on the Type 4 anti-submarine motor gun boats.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the cannon or machine gun.
The 37 mm Type 4 has a choice of 2 shells, HE and APHE
- HE - Has good explosive mass for its calibre, but usually can't damage interior modules
- APHE - Low explosive mass, but can penetrate and damage interior modules in ships
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|100 m||1,000 m||2,000 m||3,000 m||4,000 m||5,000 m|
|37 mm HE||HE||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|37 mm APHE||APHE||47||45||38||33||29||26|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|37 mm HE||HE||677||0.65||0||0.1||69.3||79°||80°||81°|
|37 mm APHE||APHE||662||0.7||1||3||11||47°||60°||65°|
Comparison with analogues
- 45 mm/46 21-K · 45 mm/68 21-KM - Soviet single-shot cannons, generally superior in every way, having higher muzzle velocity, stronger shells, and the same reload speed, only worse in traverse speed, being about half as slow to aim.
- 3 pdr QF Hotchkiss (47 mm) - British single-shot cannon, has about double the explosive mass for its HE shell and the same reload speed, but has no access to any armour-piercing ammunition and has a lower muzzle velocity.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
Summarise and briefly evaluate the weaponry in terms of its characteristics and combat effectiveness. Mark pros and cons as a list.
- Fairly accurate gun
- Fast traverse speeds
- Low rate of fire and single shot
- Individual rounds do little damage
- Low muzzle velocity
A variant of the 37 mm Type 98 tank cannon (itself a derivative of the 37 mm Type 94 gun), the Type 4 was designed in 1943 for mounting on the Type 3 transport submarines. In order to prevent rust, every part was plated in chromium, and waterproof plugs and drain holes installed. In 1944, an anti-aircraft mount was devised for the weapon, mounted on some Daihatsu-class landing crafts. 
An excellent addition to the article would be a video guide, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Japan naval cannons|
|20 mm||JM61 · Type 98|
|25 mm||25 mm/60 Type 96|
|37 mm||Type 4 · Type 11 pattern 1922|
|40 mm||40 mm/62 Vickers|
|57 mm||Type 97|
|75 mm||Type 88 AA|
|76 mm||3-inch/40 Type 41 · 8 cm/40 3rd Year Type · 8 cm/60 Type 98|
|100 mm||100/65 mm Type 98 mod A|
|120 mm||120 mm/45 3rd Year Type · 120 mm/45 10th year type|
|127 mm||5 inch/40 Type 89 · 127 mm/50 3rd Year Type|
|140 mm||140 mm/50 3rd Year Type|
|152 mm||6-inch/45 Type 41 · 15 cm/50 Type 41|
|155 mm||155 mm/60 3rd Year Type|
|200 mm||20 cm 3rd year type No.1|
|203 mm||20 cm/50 3rd year type No.2|
|356 mm||36 cm/45 Type 41|
|40 mm||Bofors L/60 Mark 1 (USA) · Bofors L/60 Mark 2 (USA) · Bofors L/60 Mark 3 (USA)|
|76 mm||3 inch Mk.33 (USA) · 3-inch Mk.34 (USA)|
|120 mm||4,7-inch/40 Armstrong (Britain)|
|127 mm||5 inch/38 Mk.12 (USA)|
|305 mm||12-inch/45 Vickers (Britain) · 12-inch/50 Vickers (Britain)|