Mk.10 Hedgehog mortar
The Hedgehog mortar is an anti-submarine weapon developed by the Royal Navy during World War 2. The weapon consists of 24 spigot projectiles that are fired from a mortar launcher, ahead of the ship. It is mounted on destroyer escorts or corvettes alongside conventional depth charges.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
- HMS Spey
- USS Hoquiam
- USS Candid
- HMS Churchill
- HMS Montgomery
- JDS Harukaze (DD-101)
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the depth charge.
Describe the type of damage produced by this type of depth charge (high explosive, splash damage, etc)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of depth charges that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe situations when you would utilise this depth charge in-game (vehicle, pillbox, base, etc)
Pros and cons
- The mortar fires on an high angle, which means it can reach hidden targets behind obstacles that block your guns
- Increased range compared to conventional depth charges.
- Can also obliterate enemy ships if it lands on the decks, dealing heavy damage.
- Due to the high angle of fire, it has a curved trajectory and thus it takes a short while to hit the water.
- The mortar is fixed in position, which means it cannot traverse horizontally or vertically.
- The mortar is inaccurate: spigot projectiles spread out on a large area. Several projectiles are needed to secure a hit.
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Naval depth charges|
|USA||Mk.6 · Mk.6 mortar · K-gun Mk.9|
|Germany||WBD · WBF · WBG|
|Foreign:||BB-1 (USSR) · Mk.6 (USA) · Type 95 (Japan)|
|USSR||BB-1 · BM-1 · RBM mortar|
|Britain||Limbo mortar · Mk.10 Hedgehog mortar · Mk.VII · Y-gun Mk.VII|
|Foreign:||Mk.6 mortar (USA)|
|Japan||Type 3 · Type 95|
|Foreign:||Mk.6 mortar (USA) · Mk.9 (USA) · Mk.10 Hedgehog (Britain)|
|Italy||B TG · B TG 100|