Seal DM2A1 (533 mm)
Wire-guided anti-ship torpedo. Has passive homing capability. When launched by surface ships, these torpedoes are fired back over the stern with the tail facing forward.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the torpedo.
Describe the type of damage produced by this type of torpedo (high explosive, splash damage, etc)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of torpedoes that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Primarily used to combat enemy craft. Due to its unique launch style, a player might think it would be possible to hit an enemy extremely close off the starboard-aft of the Type 143 "Albatros". This isn't possible however, since the warhead only arms itself after it has travelled about 100 meters, a location about 30 meters infront of the Type 143 "Albatros" when it was launched.
Pros and cons
- Extremely long running distance of 20 km, capable of crossing most maps.
- Very slow speed of 61 km/h, most boats and ships are capable of outrunning it.
- Small 250 kg warhead that is unlikely to kill most destroyers and cruisers.
- Backwards launch system makes it inconvenient for quick hit and run tactics.
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
|German torpedoes designed after World War II are named after sea animals.|
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
- NavWeps Website - Naval Weapons - Post WWII Torpedoes of Germany