KwK40 L48 (75 mm)
|This page is about the German tank cannon KwK40 L48 (75 mm). For the other version, see KwK40 L43 (75 mm).|
Write an introduction to the article in 2-3 small paragraphs. Briefly tell us about the history of the development and combat using the weaponry and also about its features. Compile a list of air, ground, or naval vehicles that feature this weapon system in the game.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
The KwK40 was a tank version of PaK40 cannon. It is an excellent cannon, with high penetration and a decent explosive filler.
- PzGr 39 - - This should be the main ammo type, as it deals the most damage because of its explosive filler.
- Hl.Gr. 38B - - it is recommended to completely avoid this kind of shell as its performance is vastly inferior in all aspects compared to APCBC or APCR ammo used by this tank.
- PzGr 40 - - This type of ammo should be used only if there will be trouble penetrating the opponent, or trying to hit a fast-moving tank at some distance. However, its damaging potential is much lower because it has no explosive filler to further enhance damage after the penetration. Use it against heavily armoured foes, that the PzGr 39 cannot penetrate.
- Sprgr. 34 - - Carry only very few of these. They are useless against anything other than unarmoured AA vehicles.
- K.Gr.Rot Nb. - Smoke shells are useful to blind enemy vehicles that block your advance while being being too remote for you to disable.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Smoke shell characteristics|
| Screen radius
| Screen deploy time
| Screen hold time
| Explosive mass|
(TNT equivalent) (g)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of cannons/machine guns that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
This cannon is a jack-of-all-trades due to its very high accuracy and a low drop with good penetration over the different ranges it can be fired.
Pros and cons
- Medium-high velocity
- High penetration
- Due to the high penetration and decent explosive fillers, most tanks will only need one shot to be killed
- Slow reload, plan your shots and retreat if necessary beforehand
The KwK40 was developed as the intelligence reports from the USSR showed that they were developing tanks which were too heavy for the PaK 38 (50 mm) to penetrate.
The 7.5 cm KwK40 (7.5 cm Kampfwagenkanone 40) was a German 75 mm Second World War era vehicle-mounted gun, used as the primary armament of the German Panzer IV (F2 models onwards) medium tank and the Sturmgeschütz III (F models onwards) and Sturmgeschütz IV tank destroyers/assault guns.
The design of the KwK40 was adapted from the similar towed anti-tank gun, the 7.5 cm Pak 40. It replaced the short-barrel 7.5 cm KwK37 L/24 close-support gun, providing a huge improvement in firepower for mid-war tank designs. It came in two versions, with L/43 and L/48 barrel lengths, the former used during 1942 and early 1943, and the latter after that point. Along with the Pak 40, the KwK40/StuK 40 was the most numerous anti-tank gun of the German army, and remained an effective weapon until the war's end.
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Germany tank cannons|
|20 mm||KwK30 · KwK38 · Rh202|
|30 mm||MK 30-2/ABM|
|37 mm||KwK34(t) · KwK36 · KwK38(t) · PaK L/45|
|50 mm||KwK39 · KwK L/42 · PaK38|
|57 mm||Bofors L/70 Mk.1|
|75 mm||K51 L/24 · KwK37 · KwK40 L43 · KwK40 L48 · KwK42 · KwK44 · KwK44 L/36.5 · PaK39 L48 · PaK40/3 L46 · PaK42 · StuK37 · StuK40|
|76 mm||PaK36 (r)|
|88 mm||Flak.37 · Flak 41 · KwK36 · KwK43 · PaK43|
|105 mm||CN105-57 · FMK.4 Modelo 1L · K.18 · KwK L/68 · L7A3 · PzK M57 · StuH42|
|120 mm||Rh120 L/44 · Rh120 L/55|
|128 mm||K.40 · KwK44 · PaK44|
|150 mm||s.I.G.33 · Stu.H 43 L/12|
|HSS 831L (Britain)|
|57 mm||6pdr OQF Mk.V (Britain)|
|73 mm||2A28 (USSR)|
|75 mm||M3 (USA)|
|76 mm||F-32 (USSR) · F-34 (USSR) · M32 (USA)|
|90 mm||M36 (USA) · M41 (USA)|
|105 mm||GT-3 (Britain)|
|152 mm||M-10T (USSR) · XM150E5 (USA)|
|Italy tank cannons|
|20 mm||Breda Mod.35 · Fucile Controcarri S Mod.39|
|25 mm||Oerlikon KBA B02|
|30 mm||Bushmaster 2 Mk.44|
|37 mm||Vickers-Terni 37/40 mod.18|
|47 mm||47/32 mod.35 · 47/32 mod.39 · 47/40 mod.38|
|60 mm||Cannone da 60/70 · OTO HVG|
|75 mm||41.M · 43.M · 75/18 mod.34 · 75/32 mod.37 · 75/34 mod.39 · Ansaldo 75 L/34 · OTO 75/43 mod.40|
|90 mm||90/53 mod.41 · Cannone da 90/50 M3A1 · Cockerill Mk.3|
|100 mm||Cannone da 100/17 Mod.1914|
|105 mm||Cannone Ansaldo da 105/25 · OTO Melara 105/52 · OTO Melara 105/55|
|106 mm||Cannone da 106 s.r.M40A1|
|120 mm||OTO Breda 120/44 · OTO Melara 120/45|
|37 mm||M6 (USA)|
|75 mm||KwK37 (Germany) · KwK40 L48 (Germany) · M3 (USA) · M6 (USA) · StuK40 (Germany)|
|76 mm||M1 (USA) · QF 17-pounder (Britain)|
|90 mm||M3 (USA)|
|105 mm||L7A3 (Germany) · M68 (USA)|
|Sweden tank cannons|
|20 mm||Akan m/47D · Pvlvkan m/40|
|37 mm||kan m/38|
|40 mm||akan m/70B|
|57 mm||Pvkan m/43|
|75 mm||kan m/02 · kan m/41 · kan Strv 74 · lvkan m/37 A · pvkan m/43|
|84 mm||kan Strv 81|
|90 mm||kan Ikv 91|
|105 mm||kan Bofors · kan Ikv · kan m/44 · kan Strv 101 · L/50 · L74 · L7A3|
|120 mm||automatkanon · CTG · kan Strv 121 · kan Strv 122|
|150 mm||fsthaub m/02|
|155 mm||kan m/60|