KwK L/42 (50 mm)
The KwK L/42 (50 mm) is a medium velocity 50 mm tank cannon.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
The KwK L/42 (50mm) is a decent gun for its rank. It has a quick reload rate of ~4 seconds, a decent APC shell and an excellent APCR shell with up to 132 mm of penetration.
- PzGr 39 - - This is the main ammo type, use it whenever it has enough penetration to penetrate the target. It deals the most damage, because of its explosive filler.
- PzGr 40 - - This variation of APCR is even lighter, slightly faster and offers the best penetration. Use these against the occasional T-34 and Sherman tanks, which have highly sloped armour and are generally very resistant to the basic APC ammo. However, don't expect it to cause any real damage upon penetration, as it has no explosive filler. It only deals damage to modules/crew straight in its path, so it is important to aim for vital modules.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of cannons/machine guns that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
- Quick reload speed of around 4-5 seconds
- Decently accurate and powerful
- Very high shell velocity for APCR rounds
- APC shell with explosive filler struggles to penetrate common foes at its BR, such as the T-34 and M4 Shermans
The 5 cm KwK 38 (5 cm Kampfwagenkanone 38 L/42) was a German 50 mm calibre cannon used as the main armament of variants of the German Sd.Kfz. 141 Panzerkampfwagen III medium tank during the Second World War. Later on, it would be replaced by the longer barreled L60.
An excellent addition to the article would be a video guide, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
|Germany tank cannons|
|20 mm||KwK30 · KwK38 · Rh202|
|37 mm||KwK34(t) · KwK36 · KwK38(t)|
|50 mm||KwK39 · KwK L/42 · PaK38|
|57 mm||Bofors L/70 Mk.1|
|75 mm||K51 L/24 · KwK37 · KwK40 · KwK42 · KwK44 · KwK44 L/36.5 · PaK39 L48 · PaK40/3 L46 · PaK42 · StuK37 · StuK40|
|76 mm||PaK36 (r)|
|88 mm||Flak.37 · Flak 41 · KwK36 · KwK43 · PaK43|
|105 mm||FMK.4 Modelo 1L · K.18 · KwK L/68 · L7A3 · StuH42|
|120 mm||Rheinmetall L44|
|128 mm||K.40 · KwK44 · PaK44|
|150 mm||s.I.G.33 · Stu.H 43 L/12|
|73 mm||2A28 (USSR)|
|75 mm||M3 (USA)|
|76 mm||F-32 (USSR) · F-34 (USSR) · M32 (USA)|
|90 mm||M41 (USA)|
|USSR tank cannons|
|30 mm||2A42 · 2A72 · AG-30|
|57 mm||Ch-51M · ZIS-2 · ZIS-4 · ZIS-4M|
|76 mm||1902/30 · D-56TS · F-32 · F-34 · F-96 · KT-28 · L-10 · L-11 · ZIS-3 · ZIS-5|
|85 mm||D-5S · D-5T · D-58 · D-70 · F-30 · ZIS-S-53|
|100 mm||2A48 · 2A70 · D-10S · D-10T · D-10T2S · D-50 · LB-1|
|122 mm||A-19 · D-25-44T · D-25S · D-25T · D-30T · D-49 · M-30 · M-62-T2S|
|125 mm||2A26 · 2A46M · 2A46M-1|
|130 mm||B-13 · C-70 · M-65|
|152 mm||M-10T · M-64 · M-69 · ML-20S|
|50 mm||KwK L/42 (Germany)|
|75 mm||KwK42 (Germany)|
|76 mm||M1 (USA)|
|85 mm||Type-62-85-TC (China)|