|This page is about the French bomber Lancaster MR.7. For other versions, see Lancaster (Family).|
The Lancaster MR.7 is a rank IV French bomber with a battle rating of 5.0 (AB), 5.3 (RB), and 6.0 (SB). It was introduced in Update "La Royale".
The aircraft has a great flight performance, a high wing rip speed and is a friendly take-off and landing aircraft.
|Characteristics|| Max speed
(km/h at 3,048 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 400||< 350||< 350||> 350|
Survivability and armour
- 8 mm Steel plates behind the pilot seat
- 6.35 mm Steel plate behind the engines
- No armour glazing
- Critical components located at the front of aircraft (fuel, pilot, engine, controls)
- More fuel tanks located in wings
Modifications and economy
6 x M.C. 500 lb Mk.I bomb
1 x M.C. 1000 lb Mk.I bomb
6 x M.C. 500 lb Mk.I bomb
6 x M.C. 1000 lb Mk.I bomb
The Lancaster MR.7 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- 14 x 250 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (3,500 lb total)
- 6 x 500 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs + 8 x 250 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (5,000 lb total)
- 14 x 500 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (7,000 lb total)
- 6 x 500 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs + 1 x 1,000 lb M.C. Mk.I bomb + 2 x 250 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (4,500 lb total)
- 6 x 1,000 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs + 3 x 250 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (6,750 lb total)
- 14 x 1,000 lb M.C. Mk.I bombs (14,000 lb total)
The Lancaster MR.7 is defended by:
- 2 x 7.7 mm Browning machine guns, nose turret (1,000 rpg = 2,000 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine guns, tail turret (2,500 rpg = 5,000 total)
Usage in battles
The best use of the Lancaster MR.7 is to fly at high altitudes, destroy the target bases with its massive payload.
It is recommended to spawn at the long-range bomber spawn (normally 4,510 m) and as soon as you spawn you can climb between 5-10 degrees at 220-280 km/h IAS, by climbing at the angle of 5° you can get to the drop point in 4 to 5 minutes at almost 5,800 m. After you drop the bombs on the targets you should return to your airfield on a gentle descent of 15°.
If an enemy airplane is approaching, you should turn your back toward it (where the 2 x 12.7 mm machine guns are located), wait for it to get within 1 km of you and then begin to shoot him. If the enemy is approaching you from below or from above, pitch up or pitch down to get the best angle for your gunner.
If you are stock, the best loadout is the 14 x 500 lb bombs, with this loadout you can destroy 1 base and damage a second one (on a 4-base map 10 x 500 lb bombs per base and on a 3-base map 6 x 500 lb bombs per base). However, if you have researched the AUBC No.1 Mark II mod the best loadout is the 14 x 1,000 lb bombs. With this loadout, you can destroy 2 bases (on a 4-base map 7 x 1,000 lb bombs per base and on a 3-base map 4 x 1,000 lb bombs per base).
The best use of the Lancaster MR.7 is to carpet bomb with its massive 14 x 1,000 lb payload.
- Spawn with the Lancaster MR.7 with the 14 x 1,000 lb payload
- Maintain any altitude you want, it just needs to be higher than 140 m from the ground (shrapnel radius of your bomb), it is recommended to fly high because of machine gun fire and SPAAs
- Drop your bombs on the enemy
- Get back to the airfield to reload
- Rinse and repeat
Pros and cons
- Has an amazing bomb load
- Has powerful engines
- Can fly on 3 engines
- Has an engine fire system to extinguish engine fires
- Has a lot of empty space (bullets will just pass through without causing damage)
- Has an H-tail
- Relatively slow for the engines that it has
- Big target
- No armour behind the gunners
- No turret coverage below or above
- 7.7 mm MGs deal very little damage
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Bombers||Lancaster B Mk I · Lancaster B Mk III · Lincoln B Mk II · Shackleton MR.Mk.2|
|Farman||F.222.2 · N.C.223.3|
|Liore et Olivier||LeO 451 early · LeO 451 late|
|Bloch||M.B.174A-3 · M.B.162 · M.B.175T|
|American||V-156-F · Martin 167-A3 · ▄A-35B · ▄SB2C-5 · B-26C · ▄PBY-5A Late · ▄PB4Y-2|