1 backGear box
The Gun, Air Defence Artillery, Self-Propelled, 40-mm, M247 is a Rank VI American self-propelled anti-aircraft gun with a battle rating of 8.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.81 "The Valkyries".
Survivability and armour
- Cast homogeneous armour (Hull)
- Rolled homogeneous armour (Rear (low), Roof, Turret)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 85-200 mm (59-74°) Front glacis
63-200 mm (13-60°) Lower glacis
| 76 mm (8-43°) Front
51 mm (0-43°) Rear
| 35 mm (26-32°) Top
25 mm (61-62°) Bottom
|Turret|| 25.4 mm (15-76°) Turret front (Upper)
12.7 mm (40-69°) Turret front (Lower)
25.4 mm (0-87°) Gun mantlet
| 12.7-25.4 mm (0-19°) Upper
12.7 mm (40-69°) Lower
|12.7 mm (18°)||12.7 mm|
- Suspension wheels and tracks are 20 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 38 mm in the front and 25 mm in the rear.
Write about the mobility of the ground vehicle. Estimate the specific power and manoeuvrability as well as the maximum speed forward and backward.
|40 mm M266 Automatic Cannon (x2)|
|Capacity (Belt capacity each)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|40 mm AP-T||AP-T||93||90||77||62||51||41|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|40 mm AP-T||AP-T||1030||0.88||N/A||N/A||N/A||-1°||48°||69°||79°|
|Belts||Shell composition||Combat usage|
|Default||HEFI-T* / AP-T||These work fine, a hit on an aircraft means instant disassembly for it and still is able to hurt ground vehicles, especially if it is side into the side of a enemy tank. These seem like a good I don't know what i will run into belt.|
|40 mm AP-T||AP-T / AP-T / AP-T / HEFI-T*||Very powerful ammunition against ground targets with significantly more penetration than other 35-40 mm AP-T projectiles. Will easily destroy any target with side shots even outside point blank range, and can destroy lighter targets and weak spots from the front even against MBTs.|
|M811||HEFI-T* / HEFI-T* / HEFI-T* / AP-T||"Poor man's anti-air ammunition." Unlike the M822 shells these require direct hits to do damage, but if you experience problems with M822 detonating too early this belt may be your best choice.|
|M822||HEFI-T* / HEFI-T* / AP-T||Proximity-fused shells that absolutely obliterate anything flying, when they work. Somewhat unreliable in if they detonate within range of the target, but when they do the target will be quickly torn apart. The only ammunition for self-propelled anti-aircraft guns that lets you kill planes and helicopters with near misses. Should be your go-to anti-air ammunition, if it works reliably for you.|
Usage in battles
Pros and cons
- Twin 40mm M266 cannon (L/70 40mm Bofors) have a better rate of fire compared to the M42 Duster.
- The M822 ammunition is proximity fused, and will detonate if the projectile passes close enough to the target.
- The 40mm's pose a serious threat to lightly-armored vehicles.
- Uses the M48 Patton's hull (armor included) = one of the best-protected SPAA in the game.
- Benefits in RB from aim assist thanks to the radar.
- As with all high-rank SPAA, very thin turret armor; a shell strike could instantly end the vehicle.
- Turret is also vulnerable to strafing aircraft + rockets.
- Armor advantages are nullified due to the inclusion of the Hull Break mechanic
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|USA anti-aircraft vehicles|
|Based on M3||Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M13 · Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M16 · Combination Gun Motor Carriage M15A1|
|Based on M24||Twin Gun Motor Carriage M19|
|Post-war||Twin 40 mm Self-Propelled Gun M42 Duster · Gun Air Defence Artillery Self-Propelled 20-mm M163 · Gun, Air Defence Artillery, Self-Propelled, 40-mm, M247|