GSh-30-2 (30 mm)
|This page is about the Soviet autocannon GSh-30-2 (30 mm). For the other version, see GSh-30-2K (30 mm).|
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the cannon or machine gun.
- Default: ·
- Universal: · · ·
- Ground targets: · ·
- Air targets: · · ·
|Belt||Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
Comparison with analogues
- GAU-8/A Avenger: 30 mm American rotary cannon found on the A-10A Early and A-10A Late. Features higher fire rate and HVAP.
- GSh-6-30: A rotary cannon of the same calibre with 6 barrels and a higher rate of fire than the GSh-30-2.
- GSh-30-2K: A variant of the same cannon, featuring a slightly longer barrel, but slightly less RPMs (2,600 max).
- GAU-13/A: 30 mm American rotary cannon found on the A-7D/E and the F-5E in a gunpod configuration.
- DEFA 552 and DEFA 554: 30 mm French autocannon. DEFA 554 has a higher fire rate.
- Akan m/75: 30 mm Swedish autocannon which can be used for both air and ground attack.
Usage in battles
The one thing that it does the best is shattering enemies with its 30 mm shells and high rate of fire; not only is this gun devastating against aircraft or helicopters, this gun is lethal to ground vehicles attacking top-down as well. However, do keep in mind that this Gast gun's high rate of fire also means you will deplete all 250 rounds quickly, so do not be trigger happy with it.
Pros and cons
- Very high shell velocity, making long range shots easier
- Great hitting power, even single hit can be lethal for the target
- Access to APHE rounds, can destroy light and medium targets with a single burst
- High rate of fire combined with quite low ammunition capacity, trigger discipline is advised
- Does not have access to HVAP, making it a bit tricky to pierce heavier armoured ground targets
After the successful GSh-23 was developed based on the decade-old Gast gun design, during early 1980s, the Soviet Ministry of Defense required the unification of calibre in tri-service autocannons. The design for GSh-23L was then enlarged to 30 mm calibre as the GSh-30-2 cannon, first used exclusively on the Su-25 "Frogfoot", and later the water-cooled -2K variant made into service with the introduction of the Mi-24P "Hind-F" gunship.
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|USSR aircraft cannons|
|20 mm||B-20E · B-20M · B-20S · ShVAK|
|23 mm||GSh-23L · NR-23 · NS-23 · NS-23K · PTB-23 · VYa-23|
|30 mm||2A42 · GSh-6-30 · GSh-30-2 · GSh-30-2K · NR-30|
|37 mm||N-37 · N-37D · NS-37 · SH-37|
|20 mm||Hispano Mk.II (Britain) · MG 151 (Germany)|
|37 mm||M4 (USA) · M10 (USA)|