GAU-8/A (30 mm)
The 30 mm GAU-8/A is an American rotary autocannon.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the cannon or machine gun.
- Default: API · T · HEI · API-T · HEI
- Ground targets: API-T · HEI · AP-I · AP-I
- Air targets: API-T · HEI · HEI · HEI
- Stealth: AP-I · HEI · AP-I · HEI
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of cannons/machine guns that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
- Extremely high rate of fire
- Decent armour penetration
- Effective against all types of vehicles (ground, air, or naval)
- High rate of fire requires trigger discipline
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|USA aircraft cannons|
|20 mm||AN/M2 · Browning-Colt Mk12 Mod 0 · Browning-Colt Mk12 Mod 3 · FMC T-160|
|M3 · M24A1 · M39A1 · M39A2 · M39A3 · M61A1 · M195 · M197 · Mk 11 · Mk 11 mod 5 · T31|
|30 mm||M230E-1 · XM140 · GAU-8/A · GAU-13/A|
|37 mm||M4 · M9 · M10|
|75 mm||M10 · T13E1|
|20 mm||Hispano 404 (France) · Hispano Mk.II (Britain) · MG 151 (Germany) · Type 99 Model 1 (Japan)|
|30 mm||ADEN Mk.4 (Britain)|