1 backGear box
The Isuzu Type 94 is a Rank I Japanese self-propelled anti-aircraft vehicle with a battle rating of 1.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.65 "Way of the Samurai" along with the rest of the Japanese Ground Forces Tree.
As with any truck AA, this vehicle is fragile and should not be taken near the frontline, even though it is potent as a frontline automatic antitank gun.
As a truck chassis, with only 3 crew members, this vehicle has no survivability. Only one thing may save this truck in some situations: cabin's back is 15 mm thick, this can block MG fire. The vehicle has six wheels and a good HP ratio, very fast on road but bad off road; overall with a good reverse speed. Overall, the Type 94 is a gun platform. With 20 bullets, 45 mm of max penetration, a good traverse speed and reload rate, this gun will shred planes and light targets alike. Plus, the same gun is mounted on the two next Japanese SPAAs, offering a good introduction to this main weapon.
Survivability and armour
- Structural steel
|Driver's cabin||1 mm||15 mm||15 + 5 mm||N/A|
|Truck bed||N/A||N/A||N/A||15 mm|
- Wheels provide 2 mm thickness each.
- Gunner is extremely exposed, with the only meaningful armour being below the crew member.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armor
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|20 mm Type 98|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|Type 100 HE-T||HEFI-T||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Type 100 AP-T||API-T||46||45||33||23||15||11|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|Type 100 HE-T||HEFI-T||829||0.13||0.3||0.1||6||+0°||79°||80°||81°|
|Type 100 AP-T||API-T||829||0.16||N/A||N/A||N/A||47°||60°||65°|
Usage in the battles
Shooting at aircraft, you can make use of it's maneuverability to evade enemy bombs or bullets. This is not a spectacular AA since it's fire density is not so great, requiring every shot to be pinpoint on target to hit. Bring 5-6 full HE belts to take this role in case there is planes coming your way. Any good SPAA tactic works fine with the Type 94.
Any aggressive player will be able to take this truck into a close quarter fight, even if it's not its recommended usage. Its fast speed and gun turning rate allows for intense action and multi-target engagement. In close quarter engagement, come in a reverse position in order to have the best gun arc and always anticipate an escape route. At this BR, 45 mm of penetration is more than enough to incapacitate most enemy tanks. But beware of its limited ammo count and always engage your target with a fully loaded magazine. It is recommended to spray the gunner first and then taking your time to snipe every other crew member. Whenever an artillery strike is coming your way, be it friendly or enemy, do not stand there for too long since a single shell can wreck this truck. One last warning: never engage heavy targets, instead: flee.
Pros and cons
- Rapid fire 20 mm cannon on truck bed
- 360° gun rotation and fast turret traverse
- Reasonably good penetration can be achieved with the 20mm's AP-T shells (45 mm)
- Truck platform gives good movement on road
- Non HE shells will have hard time killing this, as the lack of armor, walls and components make it hard to actually hit anything that will sprawl and cause damage, meaning direct hits to the crew are necessary in order to take it out.
- Cabin's back is 15 mm thick, which can block MG fire (if shot from the front, only the driver will die)
- Very light: easy to tow
- Good ammo capacity
- Fast reload speed
- -9° of gun depression and 82° of elevation
- 20 mm rate of fire is low
- Kamikaze airplanes can kill this vehicle very easily
- Absolutely zero armor makes other vehicles able to destroy it by just spraying it with regular machine gun fire and killing the crewmen.
- Can be killed by tank ramming
- Commander is standing near the gunner, which makes it very exposed to MG fire
- Can't shoot directly forward, needs to face ground targets side on
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Japan anti-aircraft vehicles|