The Luftvärnsterrängdragbil m/40 is a rank II Swedish SPAA with a battle rating of 3.0 (AB) and 2.7 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.97 "Viking Fury".
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogenous armour (Armour plates over cab, sides and rear of flatbed, ammo bin covers)
- Wood (Flatbed)
- Structural steel (Remainder of vehicle)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 15 mm (32°) + 3 mm Engine
0-15 mm (9°) Cab
| 0-3 mm Cab, engine
10 mm Flatbed
|15 mm|| 3 mm Engine |
10 mm Cab, ammo
- Wheels are 10 mm thick. Suspension frame is 30 mm thick.
- Turret base is 30 mm thick.
- Barrel is 20 mm thick.
- Gun is volumetric structural steel, 180-250 mm thick from the side and about a meter thick from the front.
The Lvtdgb m/40 has essentially no armour from the side and only very minimal armour from the front. Three of the four crewmembers are located on the completely unarmoured turret, meaning machine guns can destroy the vehicle without having to shoot at the cab. The armour will not detonate most APHE rounds, but any HE or HEAT shell, artillery, machinegun, or autocannon will make quick work of the Lvtdgb m/40.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
The Lvtdgb m/40 does not have a particularly high top speed, especially for a wheeled vehicle, but it does have good acceleration. It is quick to accelerate both on and off roads, and has enough horsepower to climb hills with some effectiveness. While tough terrain such as snow and mud does slow it down, it remains effective. Turning performance is poor due to the vehicle's long wheelbase, but overall the Lvtdgb m/40 is more than capable of maneuvering effectively in combat and using its speed to flank the enemy.
Modifications and economy
The Lvtdgb m/40's gun is a renamed Bofors 40mm cannon, which is used on other AA guns such as the Crusader AA Mk II and the M19. The main difference is that the gun can fire shells, which act like APHE, penetrating tanks and then exploding inside. These shells can be very effective against enemy vehicles, but do not have as much penetration as the standard AP shells. These shells can make the gun quite effective against light and even medium tanks at the Lvtdgb m/40's tier, but the inaccuracy of the gun makes using them a challenge. At ranges beyond around 100 meters it becomes difficult to hit weak spots reliably, even when firing the gun semi-auto. Automatic fire is rarely accurate enough to even land shots on target at this range. The gun has both high dispersion and recoil, which causes the unstable truck chassis it is mounted on to jiggle back and forth. Nevertheless, with trigger discipline and at closer ranges the gun can tear apart enemy tanks, especially from the side or rear.
|40 mm lvakan m/36||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Mode||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal||Stabilizer||Stock||Upgraded||Full||Expert||Aced||Stock||Full||Expert||Aced|
- Default: · - This belt type works fine, although half of the shots (APC) in this belt is for fighting tanks, while the other half (HEFI-T) is for fighting planes. Use them if you don't know what you'll encounter.
- slsgr m/36C: · · · - Versus planes and open combat compartment vehicles. Most planes will only take a few shots before going down.
- slhpgr m/43: · · · - Best belt type to use against tanks. The SAPHEI shells have decent penetration and an explosive filler. It may be advisable to bring some default belts if the extra penetration is required.
|Belt||Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|18||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__|
Usage in battles
As any anti-aircraft vehicle, the Lvtdgb m/40 is to be used against aerial targets to cover teammates from aerial attacks. The low fire rate of the 40 mm gun can make this task difficult, but one hit with the cannon's high-explosive shells should be sufficient in knocking down a plane from the skies.
Although being classified as an Anti-Air vehicle, one manner the Lvtdgb m/40 can be used to great effect is as a tank destroyer. Due to the high penetration of the 40 mm AP shells, the Lvtdgb m/40 can take advantage of most tanks having weak armor at its battle rating even frontally. However, caution is required as the gunner is exposed and the Lvtdgb m/40 is not fast enough to be able to retreat once under attack.
Pros and cons
- Powerful 40 mm gun
- Effective in an anti-tank role
- AP shells have 79 mm of penetration
- SAPHEI shells have 66 mm of penetration and explosive filler
- 40 mm HE rounds make short work of enemy planes
- Very versatile - can take down both tanks and planes
- Gun is inaccurate at longer ranges and when firing full-auto
- Slow turret traverse
- Hard to hit ground targets forward of the vehicle due to poor gun depression
- Not very agile due to it being on a truck chassis
- Four man crew of which three are in the open - susceptible to strafing enemy aircraft, artillery and machine gun fire
- Very little armour protection
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
- Other vehicles of similar configuration and role
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Sweden anti-aircraft vehicles|
|Lvrbv 701 · Lvkv 42 · Lvkv 9040C · Lvtdgb m/40|
|L-62 ANTI II · Pbv 301 · Pvlvv fm/42 · VEAK 40 · ASRAD-R · ItO 90M|