The Luftvärnsterrängdragbil m/40 is a rank II Swedish SPAA with a battle rating of 3.0 (AB) and 2.7 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.97 "Viking Fury".
Survivability and armour
Describe armour protection. Note the most well protected and key weak areas. Appreciate the layout of modules as well as the number and location of crew members. Is the level of armour protection sufficient, is the placement of modules helpful for survival in combat? If necessary use a visual template to indicate the most secure and weak zones of the armour.
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||___ mm|| ___ mm Top
___ mm Bottom
|___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Turret|| ___ - ___ mm Turret front
___ mm Gun mantlet
|___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Cupola||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm|
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|40 mm lvakan m/36||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Mode||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal||Stabilizer||Stock||Upgraded||Full||Expert||Aced||Stock||Full||Expert||Aced|
- Default: · - This belt type works fine, although half of the shots (APC) in this belt is for fighting tanks, while the other half (HEFI-T) is for fighting planes. Use them if you don't know what you'll encounter.
- slsgr m/36C: · · · - Versus planes and open combat compartment vehicles. Most planes will only take a few shots before going down.
- slhpgr m/43: · · · - Best belt type to use against tanks. The SAPHEI shells have decent penetration and an explosive filler.
|Belt||Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|18||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__|
Usage in battles
As any anti-aircraft vehicle, the Lvtdgb m/40 is to be used against aerial targets to cover teammates from aerial attacks. The low fire rate of the 40 mm gun can make this task difficult, but one hit with the cannon's high-explosive shells should be sufficient in knocking down a plane from the skies.
Although being classified as an Anti-Air vehicle, one manner the Lvtdgb m/40 can be used to great effect is as a tank destroyer. Due to the high penetration of the 40 mm AP shells, the Lvtdgb m/40 can take advantage of most tanks having weak armor at its battle rating even frontally. However, caution is required as the gunner is exposed and the Lvtdgb m/40 is not fast enough to be able to retreat once under attack.
Pros and cons
- Powerful 40 mm gun
- Effective in an anti-tank role
- AP shells have 79 mm of penetration
- 40 mm HE rounds make short work of enemy planes
- Very versatile - can take down both tanks and planes
- Slow turret traverse
- Not very mobile due to it being on a truck chassis
- 5 man crew of which 4 are in the open - susceptible to strafing enemy aircraft, artillery and machine gun fire
- No armour protection whatsoever
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
- Other vehicles of similar configuration and role
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Sweden anti-aircraft vehicles|
|Lvrbv 701 · Lvkv 42 · Lvkv 9040C · Lvtdgb m/40|
|L-62 ANTI II · Pvlvv fm/42 · VEAK 40 · ASRAD-R · ItO 90M|