- 1 General info
- 2 Specifications
- 3 History of creation, combat usage and evolution
- 4 Screenshots and fan art
- 5 Additional information (links)
The T-80B is a Rank VI Soviet medium tank with a battle rating of 10.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.81 "The Valkyries".
The main purpose, usage and tactics recommendations
General play style
The T-80B should be played like a T-64B, using your powerful gun and decent armor to pick off enemies in the distance. When needed, the T-80B can perform flanking runs with its decent speed. However the T-80B should not be played like an M1 Abrams, as the tank will explode when anything penetrates your armor.
The T-80B is visually similar to the T-64B, it retains the same rounded turret, sloped frontal armour and skirted sides, as well as the same jacketed 125 mm smoothbore gun. The turret bears different kit, however, such as the use of rounded storage bins and a snorkel tube. The same NSVT 12 mm machine gun is fitted, but this time it is used with 150-round boxes instead of the 100-round boxes found on the T-64B. The T-80B retains the same rubber-mesh screens covering the upper portion of the tracks. The frontal glacis has an additional 30 mm plate of HHRA welded onto it. This replaces the regular V-shaped “splash plate” found on the T-64B.
When playing in large maps such as "Kursk" and "Maginot Line" use the mobility of the T-80B to get into a hull-down position and make use of the T-80B's armament as well as its phenomenal turret armor to pick-off faraway enemy tanks. When playing in small maps such as "Normandy" and "Poland", use the mobility of the T-80B to flank enemy tanks as you would with the "M1 Abrams" or similar western MBT.
Specific enemies worth noting
Type 90 can penetrate any part of your tank and any plausible range. So don't get hit by it. The same goes for AMX-40 With the new helicopter update, an ATGM will result in a ammo detonation or crew kill. It is extremely important to get the Kontact-1 ERA modification as soon as possible, because those ERA blocks will save you from helicopters. If you do not have the ERA modification, pay attention to the skies, try to maintain some sort of cover, as you will usually have 1-3 seconds of reaction time from detecting an ATGM and getting hit by one.
If close enough, a successful gun breach penetration will kill one crew member. If T-80B reveal its sides, aim right beneath turret as that will guarantee one hit kill. The M1 Abrams' gun can occasionally penetrate upper plate, it's best to aim for gun breach or lower plate. Keep in mind that a successful penetration from any angle on the hull will likely result in a one hit kill.
Pros and cons
- Very good composite armour.
- Powerful main gun with great stabilizers and accuracy.
- Very good mobility
- Small vehicle
- Decent reverse speed of 12 km/h
- Autoloader like the T-64.
- Good chemical munitions protection with the ERA upgrade
- Same autoloader as the T-64, same rate of fire and weakspot.
- 3 crew member makes it hard to survive on the battlefield.
- Bad gun depression, the generic trouble of Soviet tanks.
- Not a very fast turning turret.
- Lower frontal hull armour devoid of composite armour.
- Breech is easily damaged.
- 1x125 mm 2A46M-1 Cannon (38 rounds)
- 1x12.7 mm NSVT Machine gun (300 rounds)
- 1x7.62 mm PKT Machine gun (1250 rounds)
1x125 mm 2A46M-1 Cannon
- Ammunition Capacity: 38 rounds
- Gun depression: -5 degrees
- Gun elevation: 15 degrees
- Turret Rotation Speed: 14.3 degrees per second (stock)
- Reload rate: 7.1 seconds (stock)
- 1 x 12.7 mm NSVT machine gun (pintle-mount)
- 1 x 7.62 mm PKT machine gun (coaxial)
Total: 3 Crew members
- High hardness rolled armor (Hull, front and sides)
- Composite Armor (Hull, front. Turret, front and sides)
- Cast Homogeneous (Turret, front sides and back)
Engine & mobility
Weight: 42.5 tonnes Maximum speed limit: 70 km/h Engine Power: 973 hp / 3154 rpm
Modules and improvements
History of creation, combat usage and evolution
Screenshots and fan art