IMI MG251 (120 mm)
The 120 mm IMI MG251 is an Israeli-produced tank armament intended for their Merkava tanks.
Although sharing the same calibre and able to fire the same ammunition, the weapon is not a license-production variant of the 120 mm Rheinmetall L/44 cannon and is independently designed and produced in Israel.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the cannon or machine gun.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of cannons/machine guns that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
- Possesses one of the highest-penetrating APFSDS round in the game with the M322, only beaten out by 120 L/55 ammunition
- M325 HEAT shell strength is mediocre at the fighting rank and is only useful against light-skinned ground and airborne targets
- Reload time is akin to that of L/55 cannon, being much slower than 120 mm L/44 and 125 mm cannons
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the weapon;
- other literature.
|USA tank cannons|
|25 mm||LW25 · M242|
|37 mm||M3 · M5 · M6|
|75 mm||M2 · M2 Howitzer · M3 · M6 · M1897A4 · XM274|
|76 mm||M1 · M7 · M32 · T185E1|
|90 mm||M3 · M3A1 · M36 · M41 · M54 · T15E1 · T15E2 · T54 · T208E9|
|105 mm||M4 · M68 · M68A1 · M68A1E8 · Sharir · T5E1 · T5E2 · T140E2|
|120 mm||IMI MG251 · M58 · M256 · T53|
|152 mm||M81 · M162 · XM150E5|
|57 mm||6pdr OQF Mk.III · ZIS-2|