User:blockhaj/Swedish aircraft ordnance
Swedish aircraft ordnance list by user:blockhaj
6,5 mm ksp m/22
|6,5 mm kulspruta m/22 (6,5 mm ksp m/22)|
The 6,5 mm ksp m/22 machine gun is a Swedish license built FN (Fabrique Nationale de Herstal) Browning M1919 aircraft machine gun. It is more or less the same design as the US .30 AN-M2 universal aircraft machine gun from WWII.
The Swedish Army and Navy air corps (Arméns flygväsende & Marinens flygväsende) acquired the design in 1922 as Sweden lacked suitable aircraft armament. Sweden had previously trialed the 6,5 mm ksp m/14 (Schwarzlose) and 6,5 mm kg m/14 (Madsen LMG) as aircraft armament and found the former to be too heavy and the latter to be too limited in magazine capacity and fire rate. As the Swedish Army and Navy air corps merged into the Swedish Air Force in 1926 the weapon became the default universal machine gun of the new military branch and it even saw limited use as ground fielded anti aircraft weaponry. It came to serve as the sole Swedish aircraft machine gun between 1926 and 1933. From 1932 to 1940 the guns were updated to fire the new 8 mm m/32 cartridge.
Abbreviations & translations
- kg – kulsprutegevär - automatic rifle (literal: machine gun rifle)
- ksp – kulspruta - machine gun (literal: bullet sprayer)
- akan - automatkanon - autocannon
- jrak - jaktraket - air-to-air rocket (literal: hunting rocket)
- arak - attackraket - air-to-ground rocket (literal: attack rocket)
- rb - robot - missile (literal: robot)