R3 T20 FA-HS
32 km/h back115 km/h forward
29 km/h backSpeed
The OTO R3 T20 FA-HS is a rank III Italian self-propelled anti-aircraft gun with a battle rating of 4.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.85 "Supersonic".
Survivability and armour
The R3 T20 FA-HS has light armour able to protect it against .50 cal machine guns from the front and medium-calibre machine guns from the sides. Any autocannon or tank cannon is able to shred through this armour. The R3 has an internal layout with the crew separated apart, allowing it to survive damage from non-explosive shot.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
The R3 T20 FA-HS is very mobile, able to outmanoeuvre most tanks of its rank and is reliant in this to stay alive.
|20 mm Oerlikon KAD (x1)||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Mode||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal||Stabilizer||Stock||Upgraded||Full||Expert||Aced||Stock||Full||Expert||Aced|
The 20 mm Oerlikon cannon is able to fight both aircraft and lightly armoured targets from the front.
Upgraded, the gun has access to 20 mm rounds able to penetrate up to 50 mm of armour, enabling the tank to shred any tanks that expose their sides to this vehicle. Some heavier tanks are still too heavily armoured on the sides for the gun to penetrate, but these generally don't show up unless you are up-tiered.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
Last updated: 22.214.171.124
| 4 (+1)
| 3 (+2)
| 2 (+3)
| 1 (+4)
| 0 (+5)
- As the rate of fire is very high, pack the maximum ammunition.
Usage in battles
The R3 is designated as an SPAA, and performs in this role extremely effectively. The autocannon has a rapid rate of fire and high velocity, allowing the R3 to tear aircraft to shreds. With accurate fire, a short burst will obliterate most aircraft in very little time. When the skies are clear and there are no more planes to shoot down, the R3 becomes a highly flexible vehicle, being able to zip around the map at high speed performing various tasks. Early game it makes an excellent recon vehicle, being able to capture points, oversee the battlefield and destroy enemy vehicles.
With over 50 mm of penetration and its exceptional speed, the R3 makes short work of British and American medium tanks from the side and will shred light tanks and other SPAA. The R3 does not have the penetration to handle heavy tanks and so tanks like the KV-1 and T34 should be avoided. When encountering an armored vehicle: take out the gun barrel first, then tracks, and aim at the turret ring.
|II||Suspension||Brake System||FPE||M601||Adjustment of Fire|
|III||Filters||Crew Replenishment||Elevation Mechanism|
Pros and cons
- With the best belt, it is possible to penetrate many tanks, including the sides of the Sherman and many low-rank British and Soviet tanks
- Twin-axis stabilizer
- Immensely fast, often the first vehicle on the cap
- Seemingly invincible wheels
- Front plate has armour thickness sufficient to deflect most machine gun rounds, and even certain light cannon rounds
- Immense fire rate, a 20 mm firing at 996 rounds per minute can do quite a number on low rank aircraft, often snapping wings off IL-2s
- Very little lead is required to score hits on planes
- Somehow capable of righting itself even when flipped on its roof
- By aiming backwards and down and firing while driving, the recoil can be used as a turbo to propel the light vehicle forward
- Can bounce rounds with its sloped frontal armour
- Can swim
- Earliest tank to have a two-plane gun stabilizer
- Very little side and roof armour, can be very easily dispatched by anything larger than a 7.7 mm, in most cases can be destroyed by M2s mounted on both tanks and planes
- Engine is very fragile and susceptible to machine gun fire from behind, concentrated 7.7 mm fire can actually destroy the engine
- Sub-par reverse gear compared with its forward gear
- Tips over very often, especially when firing
- As with many wheeled vehicles, awful in the sand
- Due to its size, can be very easily crushed
- Hard collisions damage modules and can often injure or incapacitate the crew
- The gun is unable to fully elevate
- A widely hated vehicle by enemy players, you will be a primary target for both aircraft and ground vehicles
- 12.7mm machine gun fire can devastate vehicle
- Recoil will cause the suspension to sway, meaning that a continuous burst will have to be adjusted while firing
- Does not have access to full AP or full HE ammo belts
The OTO Melara R3 Capraia was a light reconnaissance vehicle which was developed as a private venture by OTO Melara of Italy. Derived from OTO Melara's R2.5 Gorgona armoured policing vehicle, the R3 Capraia was first presented at the 1982 Italian Naval Exhibition held in Genoa. The R3 shared its automotive parts with the R2.5, but had a body consisting of angled aluminium armour with in places a maximum thickness of 32 mm, providing enough protection against 7.62 mm NATO small arms fire and shell splinters.
A number of armament options were proposed by OTO Melara. These included:
- the R3 T12.7 FA, armed with an externally mounted 12.7 mm M2 HB machine gun in a turret with full 360° traverse and a maximum elevation of -10° to +50°;
- the R3 T7.65 FA, armed with an externally mounted 7.65 mm machine gun in a turret with full 360° traverse and a maximum elevation of -10° to +25°;
- the R3 T20 FA-HS, armed with an externally mounted Oerlikon KAD-B17 20 mm cannon in a turret with full 360° traverse and a maximum elevation of -10° to +60°;
- the R3 Folgore ×2 FA, armed with two externally mounted Breda Folgore anti-tank missiles and a secondary 7.65 mm machine gun;
- the R3 T106 FA, armed with two externally mounted 106 mm M40 type recoilless rifles; and
- the R3 TOW, armed with an externally mounted launcher for a Hughes TOW ATGM system.
However, despite its high performance and the possibility of using various weapons, the Italian military did not express any interest in the OTO Melara R3 Capraia. Following the conclusion of its evaluation by the military, the R3 prototypes were disposed of.
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Italy anti-aircraft vehicles|