14 x Type 90-1 HEAT rocketsSetup 3
The Q-5 early is a rank VI Chinese jet fighter with a battle rating of 10.0 (AB/RB) and 10.3 (SB). It was introduced in Update "Raining Fire".
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 7,000 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear||Drogue chute|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< ___||< ___||< ___||N/A|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the aircraft. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical aircraft systems.
The Q-5 early is armed with:
- 2 x 23 mm Type 23-2K cannons, wing-mounted (120 rpg = 240 total)
The Q-5 early can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 4 x 500 kg Type 250-2 bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 14 x Type 90-1 rockets
- 4 x 500 kg Type 250-2 bombs + 14 x Type 90-1 rockets (2,000 kg total)
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the aircraft, the features of using aircraft in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
|I||Fuselage repair||Compressor||Offensive 23 mm|
|II||New boosters||Airframe||Type 250|
|III||Wings repair||New 23 mm cannons|
Pros and cons
- High acceleration
- Decent climb rate
- Decent top speed at sea level
- Fantastic energy retention
- Good ammunition stock
- The 23 mm cannons can make quick work of enemy aircraft
- Good sustained maneuverability; can out-turn F-4 Phantoms and keep up with MiG-21s
- Well-placed cannons; in the wing roots
- Gun-fighter only, no missiles despite high rank placement
- Average roll rate
- Tail locks up at high speeds
- Easily beaten in maneuverability by aircraft such as the Mirage, Draken and MiG-19
- The 23 mm cannons sometimes fall short in damage
- New players may experience difficulty with aiming the 23 mm cannons of such type (found also on the MiG-15bis and MiG-17)
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|China jet aircraft|
|Fighters||J-2 · J-4 · Shenyang F-5 · Q-5 early · J-6A · J-7II|
|American||␗F-84G-21-RE · ␗F-86F-30 · ␗F-86F-40 · ␗F-100A · ␗F-104A · ␗F-104G|
|Soviet||␗MiG-9 · ␗MiG-9 (l)|