Dual Automatic Gun M2 (40 mm)
The Bofors 40 mm is a heavy autocannon used mainly by the United States, occasionally finding use amongst the British and the German vehicles. Introduced around the Second World War, the Bofors 40 mm gave itself a good name due to its reliability as a cannon and general effectiveness.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
The Bofors 40 mm has a medium rate of fire.
Describe the shells that are available for the weapon and their features and purpose. If it concerns autocannons or machine guns, write about different ammo belts and what is inside (which types of shells).
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of cannons/machine guns that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe the cannon/machine gun in the game - its distinctive features, tactics of usage against notable opponents. Please don't write a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought.
Pros and cons
- Powerful 40 mm HEF-I shells (Mk.II) with high amounts of explosive filler that can shred planes to pieces with successful 1 hit
- The M81A1 AP rounds can easily deal with sides of medium tanks and can damage cannon barrel and tracks
- Acceptable muzzle velocity for the gun
- Acceptable rate of fire
- The 40 mm shell penetrates up to 76 mm of armour, not enough to deal with some German SPAAs
- Muzzle velocity and rate of fire are not really good
- High leading angle is needed to hit the enemy aircraft
- Not suitable gun for higher tiers, especially against jets
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the cannon/machine gun;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the weapon;
- other literature.
|Britain and USA anti-aircraft guns|
|20 mm||GAI C01 · M168 · Oerlikon Mk.II|
|30 mm||HSS 831L|
|35 mm||GA-35 · Oerlikon KDA|
|40 mm||Bofors L/60 · Dual Automatic Gun M2 · M266|
|Japan anti-aircraft guns|
|20 mm||Type 98 Anti-Air Gun|
|35 mm||Oerlikon KDA|
|40 mm||M2 Dual Automatic Gun|
|China anti-aircraft guns|
|12.7 mm||M2HB (USA)|
|37 mm||Type 65|
|40 mm||Dual Automatic Gun M2 (USA)|