Do 217 K-1
|This page is about the German frontline bomber Do 217 K-1. For other versions, see Do 217 (Family).|
The Do 217 K-1 is a rank IV German frontline bomber with a battle rating of 5.3 (AB/SB) and 4.7 (RB). It was introduced in Update 1.29.
The Dornier Do 217 K-1 is a night bomber variant of the Do 217 E, it has improved performance but trades its frontal 20 mm cannon for an extra 7.92 mm MG turret.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 4,000 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 290||< 360||< 360||> 280|
Survivability and armour
- 8.5 mm Steel plates behind the pilot.
- 8.5 mm Steel plates in front of dorsal gunner.
- 5 mm Steel plate under ventral gunner.
- 8.5 mm Steel plate in front of ventral gunner.
Modifications and economy
2 x 250 kg SC250JA bomb
The Do 217 K-1 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- 4 x 250 kg SC250JA bombs (1,000 kg total)
- 28 x 50 kg SC50JA bombs (1,400 kg total)
- 8 x 250 kg SC250JA bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 2 x 500 kg SC500K bombs + 2 x 250 kg SC250JA bombs (1,500 kg total)
- 4 x 500 kg SC500K bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 2 x 1,000 kg SC1000L2 bombs (2,000 kg total)
- 4 x 1,000 kg SC1000L2 bombs (4,000 kg total)
- 4 x Flam C 250 incendiary bombs
- 8 x Flam C 250 incendiary bombs
- 4 x Flam C 500 incendiary bombs
- 2 x F5W torpedoes
The Do 217 K-1 is defended by:
- 1 x 13 mm MG 131 machine gun, dorsal turret (1,000 rpg)
- 1 x 13 mm MG 131 machine gun, ventral turret (1,000 rpg)
- 2 x 7.92 mm MG 81 machine guns, nose turret (2,000 rpg = 4,000 total)
- 1 x 7.92 mm MG 81 machine gun, 2 x beam turrets (750 rpg)
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the aircraft, the features of using aircraft in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Manual Engine Control
|Not controllable|| Controllable
Not auto controlled
| Not controllable
Not auto controlled
Not auto controlled
|Combined|| Not controllable
Pros and cons
- Can perform both level and dive bomber effectively
- Defensive armament is often underestimated by foes
- Amazing maximum payload of 4,000 kg
- Very easy to fly and to land
- Can carry torpedoes
- Good energy retention
- Fast aircraft, becomes even faster with upgrades installed and with an empty payload
- Airframe can withstand high speed
- Manoeuvrable just like its heavy fighter variants
- Defensive armament is unreliable and will not deter foes from attacking you
- Not very durable
- Rudder locks beyond 500 km/h
- Carrying the 4,000 kg payload will add external pylons which will increase drag and reduce speed, flight performance, and climb rate
- Torpedoes cannot be launched at high speed
- Stock payload is terrible
- Only one pilot
- Lacks any offensive armament of the E variants
- Cramped cockpit and poor pilot protection
- Tail design creates blind spots to the already underwhelming defensive armaments
Dornier Do 217 K-1 medium twin-engine bomber
In the late summer of 1942, full-scale production of a new bomber variant, called the Do 217 K-1, was started. Its creation was prompted by the designers' wish to improve visibility from the pilot's station. Whereas the Do 217E had a projection in front of the windscreen of the pilot's cockpit, a new streamlined forward section of the crew cockpit was developed for the Do 217K; it had no projection and was shared by the pilot and the navigator. The crew cockpit became more spacious, and visibility was improved.
In addition to the modified crew cockpit, the Do 217Ks had more powerful BMW 801D fourteen-cylinder, air-cooled engines with a takeoff power of 1,700 hp.
The defensive armament was also changed from that of the Do 217 E-4. The designers rejected a 20 mm fixed cannon which fired on course. The navigator's mobile turret had a twin 7.92 mm Mauser MG 81Z machine gun (with 500 rounds). Instead of obsolete MG 15s, the cockpit's side blisters had two (or, after the plane was upgraded, four) 7.92 mm Mauser MG 81 belt-fed machine guns with 750 rounds each.
The upper DL 131 electric turret and the lower WL 131 turret with large-calibre 13 mm Rheinmetall-Borsig MG 131 machine guns were left unchanged.
Now the Do 217K's maximum bomb capacity could reach 4,000 kg. In 1944, field modification kits were developed for the Do 217 K-1, allowing the installation of four ETC 2000/XII bomb racks that could be placed on the wing surface both on the outside of the nacelles (R10) and between the nacelles and the fuselage (R15). It was expected that this variation of suspended armament would let the aircraft carry four LTF5b torpedoes.
Originally, aircraft of the Do 217K variant were developed as night bombers. Their task was to carry out night raids over Great Britain where area-type targets would be bombed from horizontal flight. However, if needed, the R25 field modification kit could be used for the Do 217 K-1, giving it a tail ribbon braking parachute for dive bombing.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|Dornier Aircraft Corporation (Dornier Flugzeugwerke)|
|Fighters||Do 17 Z-7|
|Do 217 J-1 · Do 217 J-2 · Do 217 N-1 · Do 217 N-2|
|Do 335 A-0 · Do 335 A-1 · Do 335 B-2|
|Bombers||Do 17 E-1 · Do 17 Z-2|
|Do 217 E-2 · Do 217 E-4 · Do 217 K-1 · Do 217 M-1|
|Arado||Ar 196 A-3|
|Blohm & Voss||BV 138 C-1 · BV 238|
|Dornier||Do 17 E-1 · Do 17 Z-2 · Do 217 E-2 · Do 217 E-4 · Do 217 K-1 · Do 217 M-1|
|Focke-Wulf||Fw 189 A-1 · Fw 200 C-1|
|Henschel||Hs 123 A-1|
|Heinkel||He 111 H-3 · He 111 H-6 · He 111 H-16 · He 115 C-1 · He 177 A-5|
|Junkers||Ju 87 B-2 · Ju 87 R-2 · Ju 87 R-2 Libya · Ju 87 D-3 · Ju 87 D-5 · Ju 88 A-1 · Ju 88 A-4 · Ju 188 A-2 · Ju 288 C|
|Savoia-Marchetti||▀S.M.79 serie 1 · ▀S.M.79 B · ▀S.M.79 serie 4 · ▀S.M.79 serie 8|
|▀S.M.79 AS · ▀S.M.79 bis/N · ▀S.M.79 bis/T.M|
|Trophies||▀Wellington Mk Ic|