|This page is about the Italian tank destroyer AS 42/47. For the SPAA version, see AS 42.|
The Camionetta AS 42 Tipo II "Metropolitana" 47/32 is a rank I Italian tank destroyer with a battle rating of 1.7 (AB) and 2.0 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "Fire and Ice".
Survivability and armour
The armour on the AS 42/47 is non-existent. Even a spray of rifle-calibre bullets can quickly knock out the fully exposed crew.
- Structural steel (chassis, gun breech, gun mount)
- Wheel (tires & spares)
- Gun Steel (cannon barrel)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Gun mount||150 mm Gun Breech
20 mm Gunner's Seat
20 mm Elevation and Traverse Mechanisms
- Tires are 10 mm thick.
- There is a spare tire on the front and on the rear of the vehicle.
- Storage boxes, fuel containers and fenders are 3 mm thick.
- Storage Boxes and fuel Containers cover much of the flanks in addition to the chassis armour.
- The belly of the car is 3 mm thick.
The AS-42/47 has very high mobility with speeds exceeding 80 km/h on concrete and 35 km/h offroad.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|47 mm 47/32 mod.39||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
The armament present on AS 42 47/32, in other words the 47mm cannon (47/32) that you can also find on M13/40s, M14/41s is a cannon with mediocre penetration, the shots present for research are really similar and only the penetration changes.
The excellent reloading of the cannon allows the vehicle to fire quickly, in particular AS 42 at its BR can encounter lightly armoured targets and this makes it capable of destroying ground targets easily, meanwhile if we talk about destroying air targets, it would be better to use its AA version armed with a 20mm cannon (AS 42).
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Granata Perforante mod.35||APHE||55||52||41||30||22||17|
|Granata Perforante mod.39||APBC||54||52||46||39||33||28|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Granata Perforante mod.35||APHE||630||1.5||1.2||9||30||47°||60°||65°|
|Granata Perforante mod.39||APBC||630||1.44||1.2||9||30||47°||60°||65°|
|312||274 (+38)||235 (+77)||196 (+116)||157 (+155)|
|118 (+194)||79 (+233)||40 (+272)||1 (+311)||No|
- As they are modeled by sets of 3, shells disappear from the rack only after you've fired all shells in the set.
- To go into battle with the right side empty, load 157 (+155) shells.
Usage in battles
The AS 42/47 should be mainly used for flanking. It has the speed to reach flanking positions before the enemy does. The gun, while not impressive, has enough penetration and explosive filler to knock out most tanks that it can meet, especially when you hit them from the side. However, the penetration is still not very good, and as such the AS 42/47 suffers when uptiered with the B1 and SU-122 being your worst nightmares as even the sides of them are nearly immune to your gun. Armour-wise, it practically doesn't have any as the crew is completely exposed, making every near exploding artillery shell, machine gun of any size, aircraft strafing, or HE shell a serious threat. That's why you shouldn't drive to choke and capture points with a lot of artillery shelling. Use your speed to change position constantly and don't shoot multiple times from the same position as that could attract an artillery strike from the enemy and with that a free ticket back to the respawn screen.
Pros and cons
- Fast on paved roads, quick to reposition
- High reverse speed (-22 km/h) allows it to pull out of danger safely
- Very small profile, easier to conceal
- 47 mm cannon has enough penetration and explosives to frontally penetrate & knock out most opponents
- -8° gun depression plus low gun mount makes hilly terrain combat effective
- Huge ammo capacity of 300+ rounds allows prolonged battle
- Extremely low survivability, anything can destroy it easily (MG bullets, shrapnels, overpressure)
- Wheeled design becomes sluggish off-road
- 5-second reload is not very fast for its calibre
- Cannon cannot rotate to the rear which may be dangerous in some situations
The AS (Autosahariana) 42 was derived from the AB 41 armoured car. It was, however, unarmoured and did not have the rear driver position. Designed for long-range reconnaissance in North Africa, it had a cross country range of almost 500 miles (800 km). It was also known as the Camionetta Desertica (Desert Weapons Carrier) mod. 42, or "la Sahariana" (the Saharan). The main armament varied: 20 mm anti-aircraft cannons (see the AS 42 entry for details), 20 mm anti-tank rifles, and machine guns were common alternatives. For heavier firepower, some were fitted with a Breda M35 47 mm anti-tank gun, which is the variant described in this article. About 200 were built and saw service in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. After the armistice, some continued in use with Fascist Italian forces and Germany, including on the Eastern Front, and in the Ardennes in 1944-45.
Post-war, about a dozen survivors, painted amaranth red and disarmed, were used by the Polizia di Stato in Udine and Bologna.
- Related development
|Italy tank destroyers|
|M41||75/18 M41 · 75/32 M41 · 90/53 M41M|
|M43||105/25 M43 · M43 "G.C.Leoncello" · 75/34 M43 · 75/46 M43|
|Wheeled||Lancia 3Ro (100/17) · AS 42/47 · Breda 501|
|Other||L3/33 CC · 47/32 L40|
|Germany||▄StuG III G|
|USA||M36B1 · M113A1 (TOW)|