4 backGear box
The Waffenträger Krupp-Steyr mit Pak 43 is a Rank IV German tank destroyer with a battle rating of 5.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.71 "New E.R.A".
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 10 mm (76°), 20 mm (46°) Front glacis
5 mm (46°) Engine grille
20 mm (44°) Lower glacis
10 mm (46°) Crew ports
| 10 mm (25°) Top
10 mm Bottom
| 10 mm (26°) Top
10 mm (15°) Bottom
|Turret|| 20 mm (41°) Turret front
20 mm (5-46°) Gun mantlet
|10 mm (22-24°)||10 mm (24°)||N/A|
- Suspension wheels are 20 mm thick and tracks are 30 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 5 mm thick.
- A 10 mm structural steel plate covers the engine from the crew.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armor
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|88 mm PaK 43|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|30||26 (+4)||21 (+9)||16 (+14)||11 (+19)||1 (+29)||Right side empty: 21 (+9)||No|
Usage in the battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- 88 mm Pak 43 gun power can destroy any vehicle it meets
- Full rotating turret with the powerful gun
- Decent -8° gun depression for hull-down positions
- Low profile construction makes the vehicle easily conceal
- Suspension and tracks cover a good portion of the lower side hull for protection
- Open-top turret crew vulnerable to shrapnels, machine guns, air strikes, artillery, and such
- Gun recoil can jump the vehicle dramatically, throwing off the aim and bouncing the vehicle position
- Very thin overall armour of between 10-20 mm
- 5 mm roof armour means aerial attack are deadly
- 5 mm belly armour makes any HE shots able to penetrate through the bottom
- Front-mounted engine and transmission means both can be knocked out with a front shot, immobilizing the vehicle
- Poor acceleration
In as early as 1942, the German Wehrmacht was looking for a way to make large anti-tank guns easier to deploy and transport, but also should be able to fire the gun and fight on the front lines. Four major German companies (Krupp, Rheinmetall, Borsig, and Ardelt) took part in a tender of the Waffenamt (German Army Weapons Agency) in 1943 for the project. Then, in April 1944, the four companies presented their prototypes. With Krupp and Steyr working together on a design, and Rheinmetall and Borsig on their own. Both designs envisaged placing the 8.8 cm PaK 43 L / 71 in a slightly armored, upwardly open, rotatable tower mounted on a hull of a Raupenschlepper Ost (a tracked artillery mover) to keep costs down and reduce complexity. However, the decision was made for the prototype of the last company, Ardelt, therefore making the Krupp-Steyr design unwanted by the Waffenamt.
Due to the design losing the tender, the tank never saw mass production or combat service. Only one wooden model and one prototype were manufactured on September 2, 1944.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|Germany tank destroyers|
|Based on Pz.38(t)||Marder III · PaK40/3 auf Sfl.38 Ausf. H · Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer|
|Based on Pz.I||4,7 cm Pak(t) auf Pz.I Ausf.B|
|Based on Pz.II||Sturmpanzer II|
|Based on Pz.III||Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. A · Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. F · Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. G · Sturmhaubitze 42 Ausf. G|
|Based on Pz.IV||Jagdpanzer IV · Panzer IV/70(V) · Panzer IV/70(A) · 15cm Sturm-Panzer 43(L/12) IV "Brummbär" · 10.5cm K18 Pz.Sfl.IVa "Dicker Max" · 8,8 Pak 43/1 Sf."Nashorn"|
|Based on Pz.V||Jagdpanzer V Jagdpanther · Befehlswagen Jagdpanther|
|Based on Pz.VI||Pz.Sfl. fuer 12,8 cm K40 "Sturer Emil" · Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Ferdinand · Jagdpanzer VI Jagdtiger|
|Hanomag-Henschel JPz 4-5 · Waffenträger Krupp-Steyr mit Pak 43|
|Wheeled||8.8cm Flak 37 Selbstfahrlafette auf 18 ton Zugkraftwagen · Sd.Kfz.234/3 · Sd.Kfz.234/4|
|Rocket||15 cm Pz.W.42 (15 cm Nb.W.41) auf Sf. · Raketenjagdpanzer 2 · Raketenjagdpanzer 2 (HOT)|