|This page is about the aircraft B-57A. For other uses, see Canberra (Disambiguation)|
The B-57A Canberra is a Rank V American jet bomber with a battle rating of 7.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.43.
The B-57A is an unarmed plane so survivability depends on the speed. Luckily the two Wright Aeronautical J65 turbojet engines provides enough thrust to out-speed many fighters. Maximum speed is 950 km/h for a fully upgraded variant and 902 km/h for a stock variant. As was mentioned maneuverability is the key, but be aware of pulling your nose down, because the airframe can survive only -6G. However +12G is almost unreachable value for the vast majority of your opponents. These attributes allows to do very sharp and high-G turns. Payload is adequate. Of course it´s not a B-29, but 9 x 500 lb bombs or 6 x 1,000 lb bombs can do a really nice job.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 0 m - sea level)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 0 m - sea level)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 561||< 523||< 510||No radiator|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|0 m||3265 kgf||No WEP|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the aircraft. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical aircraft systems.
The B-57A can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- 9 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bombs (4,500 lb bombs)
- 6 x 1,000 lbs AN-M65A1 Fin M129 bombs (6,000 lb bombs)
Usage in battles
As for the B-57A have 2 powerful jet engine and no guns. The tactic for this bomber is simple. Start your game at the air and dive. You will gain speed while you are diving. Hold the speed until you destroyed the your target. After that, pull your head up to 60 degree. Climb to 10,000-16,000 ft.
The 1,000 lbs are lovely base-destroyers, 4 x 1,000 lb bombs are enough for a single bombing-point in RB and SB, for a AB you need more bombs, a whole bomb-load is usually enough to destroy a bombing-point. In AB I recommend to fly high as it is possible, in danger you can always use your top-speed to run away. In a RB mode is very important to communicate with a team. Don´t be afraid of using a chat window, just write which one base you are heading. This can avoid a situation, when multiple bombers are going to bomb the same target. If you are alone bomber in yours team (or something went wrong), count that you are able to destroy 3 bases in 2 runs(With the 1,000 lb bombs, 3 bases in 3 runs with the stock payload).
The 500lbs (stock bomb-load) is also a great possibility. Use these if you want to kill some land-targets as are tanks, destroyers or pillboxes. For all tanks and pillboxes you need only 1 x 500 lb bomb, a single bomb can be used also for a destroyers. In AB I wouldn't use ground-target bombing, but if you want to, keep eye on your speed value. Be prepared for enemies with a tunnel-vision (a condition, when the player focuses only on a single goal - shut down). However RB are awesome for ground-units kill-farming. Try to be accurate. To do so, it´s recommended to fly in the same line as is the targets move. Pre-aim slightly to track the future position of the ground unit.
Try to fly low to increase a hit-change (but not to low, bombs splash damage could blow you up - 400 m over the target is optimal). However be aware, the faster are you going the less accurate the aiming cross is. You need to compensate this. Just practicing can show you how to do it. To maximize exp and lion income attack big pillboxes (not moving target = easier to hit) or destroyers. TIP: To combine tactical awareness and accurate bombing try the boom and zoom tactic. Copy the line of ships movement, drop to 500 -400 meters (enjoy your highest speed), bomb the target, pull into almost vertical flight (70% angle), reach 2500-3000 meters, turn back, and dive on the target again. Keep in mind, that B-57 is not a dive bomber, so level the plane quickly. Also be aware of -6G limit, just don't push the nose down aggressively.
To survive on the battlefield try to keep out of fighters radius. But if the enemy finds you and is prepared to kill you, try these tips:
- Enemy is Boom & Zoom on you - let him come, prepare for a sharp turn, using your +12G resistance. Turn, when the enemy is within a 1km radius, almost no one can follow you in such a unexpected maneuver. It will buy you time, but try to disappear as soon as possible.
- Fighter on your 6 - only reaching the top-speed can save you. Only Mig-15s and Venoms (+ Sea Meteors in dive) can catch you. Find the clouds to shake them off. Don´t try to climb if any bomb is left in the bomb bay.
- Going to land, X enemy fighter is over the AF (airfield) - You have no chance to land. You can use the in-game chat to call for help, or grab things into your own hands. Be a bait, let the enemy to fly on your 6 (of course in big enough distance) and Boom & Zoom over the AF. AA may shoot down the enemy. Keep calm and watch your speed, don´t let him catch you.
- The last plane in the team - if you left alone (out of bombs) and enemies are circling over the AF, go high as possible. But please, don´t restrain, if you don´t have ground-unit superiority.
- When the enemy plane/planes have landed - go and drop bombs on it.
|I||Fuselage repair||Compressor||EEMBC No.2 Mark 1|
Pros and cons
- Fast for its battle rating
- Decent acceleration
- Maneuvers well
- Powerful air brakes
- Unarmed (no offensive/defensive weapons)
- Medium payload
- Wing can be easily destroyed in dives
- Aircraft overheats at low altitudes
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|USA jet aircraft|
|F-80||F-80A-5 Shooting Star · F-80C-10 Shooting Star|
|F-84||F-84B-26 Thunderjet · F-84G-21-RE|
|F-86||F-86A-5 Sabre · F-86F-25 Sabre · F-86F-2 Sabre · F-86F-35 Sabre|
|F9F||F9F-2 Panther · F9F-5 Panther · F9F-8 Cougar|
|Other||F3D-1 · F2H-2 Banshee · FJ-4B · FJ-4B VMF-232 · F-100D|
|B-57||B-57A Canberra · B-57B Canberra|