36 km/h back79 km/h forward
32 km/h backSpeed
The T18E2 "Boarhound" is a gift rank II American light tank with a battle rating of 3.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.77 "Advancing Storm" in the 2018 "Chronicles of World War II" that took place between the 14th of April till the 10th of May of the same year. It was obtainable by earning 6 "Chronicle awards" in ground vehicles.
The T18E2 is an American heavy armoured car built on an 8 x 8 suspension and features a 57 mm M1 cannon.
Survivability and armour
The T18E2 is a heavy armoured car that favours protection over the high mobility common to the class. The T18E2's hull is solidly protected from heavy machine guns and artillery shrapnel, but most opponents at this battle rating can penetrate it without trouble. Despite sufficient armour to protect the crew, the transmission located under the floor armour is very susceptible to damage from artillery.
The vehicle carries a full complement of 5 crew members. A driver and MG gunner sit together in the forward driving compartment, while the Gunner, Loader, and Commander sit in close proximity in the rather small turret in the fighting compartment. Altogether, a well placed APHE round can be enough to knock out all of the crew members in the vehicle but may survive multiple solid shots of AP or APCR rounds, especially from the side. However, the crew is positioned deceptively high off the ground above an armoured floor, and so shots to the very lower glacis frequently only damage the transmission.
- Cast Homogeneous armour (turret, hull front and sides)
- Rolled Homogeneous armour (hull rear and hull roof)
- Structural Steel (fender, various boxes along the hull, and vents on engine compartment)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||51 mm (0-40°) Lower glacis & upper hull
32 mm + 51 mm (0-61°) Machine Gun Port
38 mm (10-16°) Driver's Port
32 mm (49-81°) Upper Glacis
25 mm (72-75°) Small hatch on upper glacis
|32 mm (0°) Side
25 mm (0°) Hatches
|25 mm (0-16°) Main
13 mm (16-58°) Upper & Lower
|19 mm Driving compartment|
13 mm (83-90°) Fighting/engine compartment
5 mm (84°) Vents
|Turret||51 mm + 38 mm (0-49°) Gun Mantlet
38 mm (4-30°) Turret front
|38 mm (0-39°)||38 mm (0-33°) Rear
25 mm (10°) Hatch
|19 mm Roof |
13 mm Hatches
- Floor armour is only 10 mm thick, though the suspension mounting found between each pair of wheels is reinforced with 13 mm of armour underneath the vehicle.
- Turret ring armour is 25 mm thick.
- Structural steel boxes and drums of 5 mm thick dot the exterior of the car, which can add some precious little armour thickness.
- Wheels are 10 mm thick.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
In RB/SB mode, the T18E2 is a very sluggish vehicle, especially compared to other armoured cars. Despite its listed top speed of 80 km/h (50 mph), most drivers will only see up to 65 km/h (40 mph) on paved roads and 39 km/h (24 mph) cross country depending on terrain. Even so, with its low power to weight ratio of 10.41 hp/ton (in comparison to 14.44 hp/ton of the M3 Lee), it takes driving relatively straight for a long while for it to reach these speeds. Best stick to paved roads when you can if you need to be somewhere quick and avoid muddy terrain altogether like that found at White Rock Fortress, where mud can drag your speed down to as low as 8 km/h (5 mph), leaving you vulnerable if trying to cross potential fire zones quickly.
The T18E2 also possesses a very high top reverse speed of -36 km/h (-20 mph), though again because of its low acceleration, will take some time to possibly reach this. However, in comparison to other tanks, the reverse acceleration and eventual speed is still acceptable for quick retreats. This can even mitigate the disadvantage that the vehicle requires a large turn radius to turn around.
|57 mm M1|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 0° Angle of Attack|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|64||52 (12+)||40 (24+)||24 (+40)||12 (+52)||1 (+63)||No|
- Recommended load is 24 (+40) to keep the hull empty of ammo.
- 1st and 2nd ammo racks are ready racks, and takes priority in being filled at the beginning of the battle, then fills 5, 4, then 3.
- Full reload speed will be realized as long as ammo exists in either ready rack. If both ready racks are empty, a penalty to reload speed will occur.
- Simply not firing when the gun is loaded will load ammo from racks 3-5 into 2 then 1, as long as there is ammo in racks 3-5. Firing will interrupt the loading of the ready racks.
|7.62 mm M1919A4|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
Usage in battles
Though this is an armoured car, this is best played as a tank destroyer, as the gun is arguably the best feature on this tank. Even with your sluggish speeds, you should be able to keep up with most medium tanks and provide support to them, letting them soak up damage while you dish out it back with your great gun.
|II||Suspension||Brake System||FPE||Adjustment of Fire||Airstrike||M86|
|III||Filters||Crew Replenishment||Elevation Mechanism||Smoke grenade|
|IV||Transmission||Engine||Artillery Support||Improved optics|
|This is a premium vehicle: all modifications are unlocked on purchase|
Pros and cons
- Quick firing 57 mm cannon that can fire as quick as 4 seconds with a highly trained crew
- High penetration APHE shell can make short work of foes it can face
- Large ready-rack of 24 shells
- Can scout targets in AB/RB
- Good speeds can be reached on paved roads
- Armor will protect it from heavy machine guns from nearly any angle
- Carries a bomb launcher, able to shoot up to 14 smoke grenades
- Possesses a vertical gun stabilizer to increase accuracy at low speeds
- Turret rotation speed is adequate but could be better
- Transmission is easily knocked out by artillery shrapnel
- Slows down substantially when crossing muddy terrain or deep snow
- Very sluggish acceleration, will take a while to reach high speeds
- Large turning radius, can be problematic in narrow streets or environments
- Any calibre bigger than 14.5 mm will likely tear through the car at close range
- Requires a wide radius to turn around
- Only possess AP and APHE, no HE available
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|USA light tanks|
|M8 · M22 · T18E2|
|LVT||LVT(A)(1) · LVT(A)(4)|
|M2||M2A2 · M2A4 · M2A4 (1st Arm.Div.)|
|Stuart||M3 Stuart · M3A1 Stuart · M3A1 (USMC) · M5A1 · M5A1 (5th arm.div.)|
|M24||M24 · M24 (TL)|
|Post-war||M41A1 · T92 · M551 · M3 Bradley · HSTV-L|
|USA premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||LVT(A)(4) · M2A4 (1st Arm.Div.) · M3A1 (USMC) · M8 · M5A1 (5th arm.div.) · T18E2|
|Medium tanks||Grant I · M4A5 · Calliope · T20 · M26 T99 · M26E1 · M46 "Tiger" · Magach 3 · XM-1 (GM) · XM-1 (Chrysler) · T54E1|
|Heavy tanks||T14 · Cobra King · T29 · T30|
|Tank destroyers||M8A1 · M18 "Black Cat" · Super Hellcat · T28 · T114|