The Stridsvagn 104 is a rank VI Swedish medium tank with a battle rating of 8.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "Raining Fire".
Survivability and armour
Describe armour protection. Note the most well protected and key weak areas. Appreciate the layout of modules as well as the number and location of crew members. Is the level of armour protection sufficient, is the placement of modules helpful for survival in combat? If necessary use a visual template to indicate the most secure and weak zones of the armour.
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||___ mm|| ___ mm Top
___ mm Bottom
|___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Turret|| ___ - ___ mm Turret front
___ mm Gun mantlet
|___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Cupola||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm|
The top speed of the Strv 104 is 13 km/h (8 mph) higher than the Centurion Mk 10.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|105 mm kan Strv 101||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (kg)
|Smoke shell characteristics|
| Screen radius
| Screen deploy
| Screen hold
| Explosive mass|
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|48||35 (+13)||13 (+35)||11 (+37)||7 (+41)||1 (+47)||No|
- Ammo rack 5 is a ready rack. It has a capacity of 6 projectiles.
- Full reload speed will be realized as long as shells are available in the ready rack 6. If the ready rack is empty, a penalty to reload speed will occur.
- Simply not firing when the gun is loaded will move ammo from racks 1-4 into rack 5. Firing will interrupt the restocking of the ready rack.
- The ammo rack depletion order is: 6 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.
- Ammo racks on the floor are emptied by removing the most left top shell in a rack.
- Packing 17 (+31) shells creates a relatively safe layout for front engagements without excessive risk of ammo explosion.
|7.62 mm ksp 39 C|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- ERA provides some protection against HEAT-FS, but will do nothing to stop APFSDS and little to stop most ATGMs
- The front compartment is now a fuel tank instead of an ammo rack, removing a weakness present in most Centurions
- Has an unlockable APFSDS shell which can deal with pretty much anything it faces
- Armour is the same as the Centurion Mk 10, but must face against stronger enemy ammunition
- APFSDS is a tier 4 modification
- Atrocious mobility when stock, and even with all engine upgrades it is still slower than the vast majority of its contemporaries
During the 80s, it was found necessary to do something about the oldest Centurions in Swedish service, which were mostly worn out. The decision was therefore made to let 80 of the Strv 102s undergo a chassis modification in the period 1983-1987. In order to find out what type of powertrain should be chosen, a tank had been sent over to Vickers in England where it was fitted with a diesel engine and the same type of gearbox as in the Chieftain. It underwent comparative testing with a Centurion chassis procured in 1977 from Israel. This turretless tank was fitted with a powertrain assembled in Holland, a Continental diesel engine of the same type as in the M60 "Patton" and an Allison automatic transmission.
The American-Israeli concept proved superior to the English one, which the Swedish army ordered as an upgrade for eighty selected tanks. With the 1983-1987 upgrade of the older tanks to a configuration that received the designation Stridsvagn 104, the technical life was extended to the year 2000.
- Related Development
- Lindström 2014
- Lindström, Rickard O. 2014. "Strv 81/101/102/104 Centurion." ointres.se. Last modified September 20, 2014. Website (Archive)
|Department of Tank Design|
|Sherman Firefly||Sherman Firefly · Sherman IC "Trzyniec"|
|Centurion||Centurion Mk 1 · Centurion Mk.2 · Centurion Mk 3 · Centurion Action X · Centurion Mk.5 AVRE · Centurion Mk 10|
|Challenger*||Challenger Mk.2 · Challenger Mk.3 · Challenger DS|
|Achilles||Achilles · Achilles (65 Rg.)|
|Centurion-based||Conway · FV4005|
|Sherman Firefly||M4 Tipo IC · ▄Sherman Vc|
|Centurion||Centurion Mk.5/1 · Strv 81 · Strv 81 (RB 52) · ▄Strv 81 (RB 52) · Strv 101 · Strv 104** · Strv 105** · Sho't|
|See also||US Ordnance Department · Israeli Ordnance Corps · Vickers-Armstrongs Limited|
|*By successor, the Military Vehicles and Engineering Establishment|
|**Swedish modernizations incorporating innovations from the Israeli Sho't Kals.|
|Sweden medium tanks|
|Strv m/42||Lago I · Strv m/42 EH · Ikv 73 · Strv m/42 DT · Pvkv IV|
|Centurion derivatives||Strv 81 · Strv 81 (RB 52) · Strv 101 · Strv 104 · Strv 105|
|Strv 103||Strv 103-0 · Strv 103A · Strv 103С|
|Strv 121/122||Strv 121 · Strv 122A · Strv 122B PLSS|
|Other||Sherman III/IV · T 80 U|
|WWII||▄T-28 · ▄T-34 · ▄Pz.IV · ▄T-34-85|
|Post War||▄Comet I · ▄Charioteer Mk VII · ▄T-54 · ▄T-55M · ▄T-72M1 · ▄Leopard 2A4 · ▄Leopard 2A6|