|This page is about the Chinese license-built jet fighter Shenyang F-5. For other versions, see MiG-17 (Family).|
The Shenyang F-5 is a gift rank V Chinese jet fighter with a battle rating of 9.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.91 "Night Vision".
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 2,000 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear||Drogue chute|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 600||< 700||< 750||N/A|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|0 m||2,380 kgf||2,666 kgf|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the aircraft. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical aircraft systems.
The Shenyang F-5 is armed with:
- 1 x 37 mm N-37D cannon, chin-mounted (40 rpg)
- 2 x 23 mm NR-23 cannons, chin-mounted (80 rpg = 160 total)
The Shenyang F-5 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 2 x 250 kg OFAB-250-270 bombs (500 kg total)
- 2 x PL-2 missiles
Usage in battles
After taking off, best practice is to fly in a straight line while engaging WEP. Once you achieve a high speed, pull back on the control stick and take the fighter into a climb. Due to the low ammunition count found on this aircraft, it is recommended to also load out the 2 x PL-2 air-to-air missiles.
|I||Fuselage repair||Compressor||Offensive 23 mm|
|II||New boosters||Airframe||Offensive 37 mm||D-4-50|
|III||Wings repair||New 23 mm cannons|
|IV||G-suit||Engine||Cover||New 37 mm cannons||PL-2|
Pros and cons
Summarise and briefly evaluate the vehicle in terms of its characteristics and combat effectiveness. Mark its pros and cons in the bulleted list. Try not to use more than 6 points for each of the characteristics. Avoid using categorical definitions such as "bad", "good" and the like - use substitutions with softer forms such as "inadequate" and "effective".
- Hard-hitting armament
- Decent manoeuvrability
- Access to decent anti-aircraft missiles
- Faster than most jets it will encounter thanks to powerful afterburner
- Difficult to break wings in turns
- Effective airbrakes
- Premium bonuses
- Can completely change the tide of a game in the hands of a skilled pilot
- Flaps break at speeds above 530 km/h (330 mph)
- Afterburner chews through fuel
- Poor low-speed manoeuvrability (below 355 km/h (220 mph))
- Guns have low velocity and different shell arcs which requires pilot practice to learn to use effectively
- Low ammunition count for guns
- Will have to deal with Phantoms and other supersonic aircraft with better weapons and speed
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.
|Shenyang Aircraft Corporation|
|Jet Fighters||J-2* · J-4** · Shenyang F-5** · J-6A***|
|*License built MiG-15. ** License built MiG-17. *** License built MiG-19.|
|China jet aircraft|
|Fighters||J-2 · Shenyang F-5 · J-4 · J-6A · J-7II|
|American||␗F-84G-21-RE · ␗F-86F-30|
|Soviet||␗MiG-9 · ␗MiG-9 (l)|
|China premium aircraft|