Sea Hurricane Mk IB
|This page is about the British naval fighter Sea Hurricane Mk IB. For other uses, see Hurricane (Family).|
The Sea Hurricane Mk IB is a Rank II British naval fighter with a battle rating of 2.0 (AB/RB/SB). This aircraft was introduced in Update 1.49 "Weapons of Victory".
As the name implies, this is a carrier based version of the hurricane. The Mark 1/L is the closest counterpart, however several key differences are present. First off, this version can operate from carriers. This grants a massive improvement in versatility, as you can launch from both airfields and carriers. In addition, this variant features reinforced landing gear in-order to survive hard carrier landings. However, the extra weight of the landing gear is also the Sea Hurricane's biggest flaw. In arcade, this makes no difference to performance, but realistic and simulator are a different story. Climb rate, turning ability, and minimum take-off speed are all noticeably worse. That doesn't mean this is a bad aircraft though. It just takes a pilot with the knowledge of these facts and how to counter them to succeed with the plane. Boom and zoom tactics can be used to greater effect than the Hurricane Mk I/L thanks to improved dive acceleration from the extra mass. The only problem is getting up there. Still, this is a very good aircraft when used properly.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,962 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,962 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 340||< 380||< 380||> 240|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|4,953 m||1020 hp||N/A|
Survivability and armour
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass in cockpit front.
- 12.7 mm Steel plate behind the pilot.
- 6.35 mm Steel plate between fuselage fuel tank and cooling system.
- Critical components located at the front of aircraft (fuel, pilot, engine, controls)
- More fuel tanks located in wings near the fuselage
The Sea Hurricane Mk IB is armed with:
- 8 x 7.7 mm Browning .303 machine gun, wing-mounted (350 rpg = 2800 total)
Usage in the battles
Manual Engine Control
|Not Controllable||Controllable||Not controllable||Controllable||Combined||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
Pros and cons
- A lot of firepower for its rank.
- Flight similarity to the land-based Hurricane means easy to transfer skills.
- Slower climb due to extra weight
- Quite slow in overall speed.
- Engine overheats extremely fast while using WEP.
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.