The Schnellboot S-38b is a rank I German motor torpedo boat with a battle rating of 1.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.79 "Project X" as part of the fleet closed beta test.
Survivability and armour
The S-38b is nearly identical to the S-38 in terms of survivability. The S-38b has the same hull construction and composition, yet the bridge is constructed of 10 mm thick anti-fragmentation armour. This means the bridge is more resilient to damage on the S-38b than S-38.
The S-38b is also nearly identical to the S-38 in terms of mobility. It too is quick and agile. The difference is that the S-38b is slightly quicker forwards at 106 KPH (66 MPH).
The main weapons are identical to the S-38, any gunnery lessons and practices learned from the S-38 are immediately applicable to the S-38b.
The main difference between the S-38 and the S-38b is the presence of MG 34 machineguns. These machineguns are more suited towards firing upon aircraft instead of ships; citing their meagre calibre. The machineguns are mounted behind the bridge and are initially aimed upwards. The location of these machineguns allows them to fire on either side of the ship, and fire upon aircraft.
The S-38b has the same torpedo and torpedo mounting as the S-38. This means all lessons, usages, and applications the S-38's torpedoes are directly applicable to the S-38b.
The S-38b has the same special weapons options as the S-38, including smokescreens, and depth charges.
Usage in battles
The S-38b should be used exactly as the S-38 is used. Though the S-38b has better anti-air coverage then the S-38, it should not be depended upon.
Pros and cons
- Very close to the S-38, one could go from the S-38 to the S-38b with no special learning required
- Main cannons are the same as the ones found on the S-38
- Better armour then the armour found on the S-38
- Quicker, while maintaining the same handling characteristics
- Same BR as the S-38, meaning one can have the S-38 and S-38b in the same lineup
- Still inexpensive to operate
- Most flaws from the S-38 are maintained in the S-38b
- Even with additional MG 34s, anti-air coverage is minimal
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ship in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the ship;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on ship;
- other literature.
|Motor Torpedo||LS 3 · S-38 · S-38b · LS 4 Esau · S-100 (1945) · S-100 (1944) · S-100 (S204) · Type 140/141 · TS-Boot Proj. 206|
|Motor Torpedo Gun||MZ1|
|Fast Attack||Type 143|