8 km/h back39 km/h forward
7 km/h backSpeed
The 8,8 Pak 43/1 Sf."Nashorn" (Rhinoceros) is a rank III German tank destroyer with a battle rating of 5.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.57 "Battle March".
Survivability and armour
The Nashorn's armour is paper-thin; it will not protect you from even heavy-calibre machine gun fire and can be hull-broken from large-calibre HE rounds.
The Nashorn also lacks a roof, making it a very desirable target for strafing runs by fighters, as well as rocket attacks by attack aircraft.
One interesting (and somewhat comical) note to the Nashorn's armour that it is so thin, shells may pass through it without exploding due to the fuse passing through enough material to set it off and detonate.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
The 88 mm PaK 43 gun presents great penetration statistics at all ranges and angles with an average reload time. Due to the vehicle's design, the gun should be used to snipe enemy targets from long ranges, especially since most tanks will be crippled or destroyed if a shot connects.
The Nashorn has two MG 34 (7.92 mm) aimed towards the vehicle's sides. Since they are the vehicles secondary weapon, you can't switch between different belts. Furthermore, they have various blind spots, e.g. the space behind or in front of the tank as well as the area above the vehicle since the machine guns have an elevation of only around +20°, making the tank very vulnerable against diving fighters or bombers.
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Powerful 88mm PaK 43 gun can destroy most, if not every, opponent in one shot
- Armour, although thin, can cause armour-piercing rounds to slice through without causing other damages outside its trajectory
- Has not one, but two machine guns
- Has faster reload times than that of the Tiger II
- Mobility of a Panzer IV
- Plays like the Marder III H
- Has next to no armour and can be penetrated by .50 cal machine guns
- Crew compartment has no roof; is vulnerable to artillery and strafing aircraft
- Ammo racks are attached to the sides of the crew compartment; a shell strike there can detonate the ammunition
- Can be hull-broken
- Horrible gun depression
- Very tall silhouette
- Combined those two above makes it very hard for the Nashorn to hide in plain sight on flat grounds
Also known as the Hornisse (Hornet), the Nashorn comprised a composite Pz III/IV chassis and an 8.8 cm PaK 43 gun. 494 were built and it was used on all fronts in the heavy tank destroyer units from mid-1943 on. The first user was the 655th Schwere Panzerjaegerabteilung in Russia.
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Germany tank destroyers|
|Based on Pz.38(t)||Marder III · Marder III H · Jagdpanzer 38(t)|
|Based on Pz.I||Panzerjäger I|
|Based on Pz.II||15cm sIG 33 B Sfl|
|Based on Pz.III||StuG III A · StuG III F · StuG III G · StuH 42 G|
|Based on Pz.IV||Jagdpanzer IV · Panzer IV/70(V) · Panzer IV/70(A) · Brummbär · Dicker Max · Nashorn|
|Based on Pz.V||Jagdpanther · Bfw. Jagdpanther|
|Based on Pz.VI||Sturer Emil · Ferdinand · Jagdtiger|
|JPz 4-5 · Waffenträger · VFW · VT1-2|
|Wheeled||8,8 cm Flak 37 Sfl. · Sd.Kfz.234/3 · Sd.Kfz.234/4|
|Rocket/Missile||15 cm Pz.W.42 · RakJPz 2 · RakJPz 2 (HOT)|