|This page is about the aircraft Ki-49-IIb. For other uses, see Ki-49 (Disambiguation)|
The Ki-49-IIb Donryu is a Rank III Japanese medium bomber with a battle rating of 3.7 (AB/RB) and 4.0 (SB). It has been in the game since the start of the Open Beta Test prior to Update 1.29.
The Ki-49's role is a low-altitude medium bomber capable of destroying ground targets such as pillboxes and tanks. Although hindered by a low total bomb capacity, this aircraft is renowned for its impressive maneuverability. This being said, it is very easy for the Ki-49 to hover above an area and drop all of its payload rather quickly. Heavy bombers such as the G8N1 Renzan have a harder time due to their sheer size and slow rate of turn. Make sure to select either of the 4 x 250 kg bomb load outs if attacking targets like tanks, pillboxes, bases or smaller ships or use the 1 x 800 kg Navy Type Number 80 Model 1 bomb to attack large vessels (Aircraft carriers, battleships or heavy cruisers).
| Max Speed
(km/h at 5,150 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 5,150 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
|Max Static G|
Survivability and armour
- 68 mm Bulletproof glass in front of pilot
- 12.5 mm Steel plate in front of pilot
- 16.5 mm Steel plate behind the pilots
- 12.5 mm Steel plate behind the dorsal gunner
- 12.5 mm Steel plates surrounding the dorsal gunner
- 12.5 mm Steel plates in front of the tail gunner
Main article: Bombs
The Ki-49-IIb can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- 12 x 50 kg Army Type 94 GPHE bombs (600 kg total)
- 4 x 250 kg Army Type 92 GPHE bombs (1,000 kg total)
- 1 x 500 kg Army Type 92 GPHE bomb (500 kg total)
The Ki-49-IIb is defended by:
- 1 x 20 mm Ho-1 cannon, dorsal turret (180 rpg)
- 1 x 12.7 mm Ho-104 machine gun, nose turret (250 rpg)
- 1 x 12.7 mm Ho-104 machine gun, ventral turret (250 rpg)
- 1 x 12.7 mm Ho-104 machine gun, tail turret (250 rpg)
- 1 x 7.7 mm Type 89 machine guns, 2 x beam turrets (414 rpg = 828 total)
Usage in the battles
If attacked by fighters, it is important to remember and recognize the Ki-49's turning capabilities. It is actually possible to win lateral turn fights against fighters with this aircraft. Try not to act like a "sitting duck" because the Ki-49 features little armor protection and has limited defensive capabilities as far as weapons go. If found in a sticky situation, the hard hitting 20mm dorsal cannon is deadly. The only problem is that it isn't located directly on the tail. If an enemy is directly behind or below the Ki-49, the 20mm tail gunner's arc will not reach it. Therefore, one may need to change altitude in order to have the enemy plane both above and behind you. Pulling hard maneuvers will throw the enemy off and allow you to set up for more defensive fire.
This aircraft has the ability to hold up to 1000 kg of bombs in several different variations. 12 x 50 kg bombs, 2 versions of 4 x 250 kg bombs, 1 x 500 kg bomb, and 2 versions of 1 x 800 kg bomb. Use the 12 x 50 kg bombs to attack light tanks and light pillboxes. They are not viable against bigger targets, since direct hits are needed to destroy. This load out is particularly useful on maps like Zhengzhou where there is an abundance on non moving targets (light pillboxes). Use either of the 4 x 250 kg bomb versions to destroy heavier targets such as medium tanks, pillboxes, destroyers, and cargo ships. Although different in real life, both kinds of 250 kg and 800 kg bomb seem to do the exact same thing. It is purely up to choice which variation to use. It is not recommended to use the 500 kg bomb simply because one can opt for the 800 kg bomb with only a slight performance decrease. In any case, use either of these bombs to destroy targets like carriers or mini bases.
In arcade battles, this aircraft is particularly proficient at bombing bases, especially with a maxed reload crew skill. Since the Ki-49 can virtually turn on a dime, instead of having to line up longer bombing runs like heavy bombers you can "hover" over the base or airfield and attempt dive attacks. The 800 kg bomb is useful here because you only have to drop one bomb instead of spamming multiple. It's also possible to use this same tactic against pillboxes or tanks. With fighter cover, a good reload time skill and good aim it's possible to destroy dozens of ground units.
Although unconventional, this aircraft is a fantastic weapon if you want to bait the enemy. Ideally, you would want to attract a higher flying enemy down to you and to get into a turn fight. This way, depending on the enemy aircraft you can out maneuver and distract him while teammates fly down to finish him off. Also if the enemy aircraft attacks from above, the 20mm Ho-1 cannon can do a lot of damage.
Specific aircraft to watch out for:
- North American Aviation B-25J Mitchel (This is due to the firepower the B-25J has with its nose mounted machine guns and its air spawn).
- Bristol Beaufighter (This heavy fighter has 4 x 20 mm cannons and can destroy the Ki-49-IIb with relative ease).
- Northrop P-61 Black Widow (This heavy fighter has 4 x 20 mm cannons and 4 machine guns. This level of firepower can destroy the Ki-49-IIb with relative ease).
- Any planes with big guns (Bell P-39 Airacobra, Bell P-63 King Cobra....) this is because the Ki-49-IIb does not react well to damage.
When dealing with the Ki-49-IIb, be careful of its defensive armament. It may not be strong, however do not underestimate it. To attack this bomber while taking minimal damage, attack it from the front of the plane or attack from below. Do not attack from above the rear of the Ki-49-IIb as the 20 mm cannon will cripple your plane if not outright destroy it.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
- Being a bomber, speed is not necessarily an important attribute, however payload and defensive armament is. Upgrading the bombs allows for more target flexibility and damage potential while turret upgrades will help survivability. the turret belts and the "new turrets" upgrades are useful. The "new turrets" upgrade will allow you to fire the turrets for longer periods of time and having access to multiple ammunition belts is also helpful. The engine upgrades are also useful in that they will help you reach your target faster and will control engine temperature. Having all of the weapons upgrades will help drastically in unlocking the other modules on this aircraft.
- The best way of grinding with this aircraft is to play cautiously and to use communication. As with any bomber, if you're caught alone or off guard you are as good as dead. Although not a sure tactic, having a fighter escort will boost RP gains drastically. This goes for all game modes. Generally, try to destroy as many targets as possible without wasting bombs. If done in a speedy fashion it is possible to drop multiple payloads in RB. The same goes for simulator battles. In arcade battles, having a high reload speed and a fighter escort will allow for constant bombardment. If done correctly, flying the Ki-49 in all modes will net you large amounts of RP.
Pros and cons
- Very good maneuverability and turn time for a bomber
- Variety of payload options
- Multiple gunners for protection in almost all directions
- Armor protection around pilots and gunners
- Tremendous fuel capacity
- Prone to engine and fuel fires
- Relatively slow
- Low total bomb capacity (1,000 kg)
- Below average defensive armament
- Low rate of climb
- Gunners are closely grouped together
The Ki-49 first saw service in China. After the outbreak of the Pacific War it flew in New Guinea Australia. The Ki-49 was also used in the defense of the Philippines.
The first unit to receive Donryus was the 61st Sentai in China.
Unknown amount of Ki-49s were involved in the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.
- 7th Sentai, 2nd Chutai 1944-45
- 74th Sentai, 2nd Chutai Philippines 1944-45
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.
|Flying boats||H6K4 · H8K2 · H8K3|
|Naval||D3A1 · B5N2 · B7A2|
|Dive||D4Y1 · D4Y2 · D4Y3 Ko · P1Y1 mod. 11|
|Medium||Ki-21-Ia · Ki-21-I hei · G4M1 · Ki-49-I Donryu · Ki-49-IIa Donryu · Ki-49-IIb Donryu · Ki-49-IIb Donryu /Late · Ki-67-I Ko · Ki-67-I otsu|
|Heavy||G5N1 Shinzan · G8N1 Renzan · ▅B-17E Flying Fortress|
|Jet||R2Y2 Keiun-Kai V1 · R2Y2 Keiun-Kai V2 · R2Y2 Keiun-Kai V3|