3 backGear box
|This page is about the heavy tank KV-1S. For other uses, see KV-1 (Disambiguation)|
The KV-1S is a Rank II Soviet heavy tank with a battle rating of 4.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.57 "Battle March". A lightened KV-1 made to improve its maneuverability, the KV-1S has less overall armour than the original design, but keeps its same lethality with improved speed.
Compared to the KV-1 L-11, side and rear armour is decreased to 60 mm, lightening the vehicle and increasing its speed to maximum 43 kph. A new turret was installed, presenting a smaller profile, thicker armour, and better angling all around. The armament is also changed to the ZIS-5, the equivalent of its successor and the T-34's F-34 guns.
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour (Hull, Turret roof)
- Cast homogeneous armour (Turret)
|Hull|| 75 mm (30°) Front plate
50 mm (70°) Front glacis
25 + 50-60 mm (25-70°) Joint plate
60 mm (26-50°) Lower glacis
|60 mm|| 60 mm (35-75°) Top
60 mm (2-69°) Bottom
| 40 mm Front |
30 mm Rear
|Turret|| 82 mm (2-76°) Turret front
50-75 mm (4-71°) Gun mantlet shield
90 mm (0-29°) Gun mantlet
|82 mm (0-25°)|| 82 mm (27-56°)
75 mm (1-43°) Machine gun port
|Cupola||60 mm||30 mm|
- Suspension wheels are 20 mm thick, tracks are 30 mm thick.
- The gun mantlet shield has varying thickness, thickest just a little above and below the center 55 mm area.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armour
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|76 mm ZiS-5|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|114||110 (+4)||105 (+9)||100 (+14)||68 (+46)||36 (+78)||24 (+90)||1 (+113)||no|
Turret empty: 100 (+14)
|7.62 mm DT|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
Usage in the battles
When playing the KV-1S, remember that you are still a heavy tank. Keep your front armor facing your enemies at all times, and preferably angled (but slightly less than KV-1 L-11). KV-1S turret is more durable, and can deflect more shots than before, so if possible expose your turret only. Gun has no special penetration value, so try to target weakspots or areas with the least armor. Flanking attacks could end in a fiery demise. Also, this tank is still a KV-1 in it's heart.
The best tactics for this tank is: keep a low profile and stay behind the main assault. When your team has advanced to the enemy's base, the KV-1s is best used to round up straggling enemy tanks behind your lines. If these tanks aren't destroyed, they'll attack your team's rear.
The common enemies are armed with guns that usually can penetrate the driver's hatch. Watch out for enemy T-34 (especially mod. 1941 and 1942, sometimes mods 1943 and the 57 variants), since they can flank you easily. Also watch out for all german Pz.IVs & StuGs armed with long 7.5 cm gun, as it can penetrate your front armor even if you are angled.
This vehicle (due to its higher BR) can also meet many opponents that your armor has no chance of stopping, avoid direct confrontation with them. (Includes: T-34-85, SU-85, Dicker Max & Nashorn, Sherman Firefly & Achilles)
Meeting other KV-1's and Churchills may become a stalemate as the KV-1S gun may not penetrate against their formidable armour. This leads to the hope that the APCR ammunition works, and the firing of several rounds into the target for a penetration.
Pros and cons
- Faster than its predecessor and successor, yet frontal armor is the same.
- Very hard to knock out in one shot
- Adequate gun
- Bouncy turret front
- Wide tracks make for good cross-country performance
- Resilient. Can remain reasonably effective, even with a lot of damage
- Very effective overall
- Side armor is considerably weaker (75 mm into 60 mm)
- Turret is cramped
- Very low reverse speed, poor low speed handling
- Vulnerable to the long-barreled 75mm gun of the StuG III and Pz.IV F2,G, H and J
- First reverse gear presents a slow reverse speed of around -5 kph.
- Still carries most of the flaws of the KV-1 L-11
- Still a heavy vehicle, poor acceleration.
- Still cannot move on pace with T-34s
- Gun lacks penetration against heavier opponents: The KV-1 ZiS-5 and both Churchills are very hard to get through. APCR is unreliable.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|USSR heavy tanks|
|KV||KV-1 (L-11) · KV-1E · KV-1 (ZiS-5) · KV-1S · KV-85 · KV-122 · KV-220|
|KV-2 (1939) · KV-2 (1940) · KV-2 (ZiS-6)|
|IS||IS-1 · IS-2 · IS-2 (1944) · IS-2 "Revenge for the Hero brother" · IS-3 · IS-4M · IS-6 · IS-7 · T-10M|
|Multi-towers||T-35 · SMK|