I-16 type 17 (China)
|This page is about the Chinese fighter I-16 type 17 (China). For other uses, see I-16 (Family).|
The ␗I-16 type 17 is a rank III Chinese fighter with a battle rating of 3.3 (AB) and 2.7 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.91 "Night Vision".
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 4,400 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear||Drogue chute|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 300||< 240||< 280||> 190|
|Compressor||Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|Setting 1||2,900 m||700 hp||830 hp|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the aircraft. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical aircraft systems.
The I-16 type 17 (China) is armed with:
- 2 x 20 mm ShVAK cannons, wing-mounted (150 rpg = 300 total)
- 2 x 7.62 mm ShKAS machine guns, nose-mounted (650 rpg = 1,300 total)
The I-16 type 17 (China) can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 2 x 100 kg FAB-100 bombs (200 kg total)
- 2 x 50 kg FAB-50 bombs (100 kg total)
- 6 x RS-82 rockets
- 6 x RBS-82 rockets
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the aircraft, the features of using aircraft in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable|| Not controllable
Not auto controlled
| Not controllable
Not auto controlled
Not auto controlled
|Combined|| Not controllable
|I||Fuselage repair||Radiator||Offensive 7 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs||DZ-40|
|III||Wings repair||Engine||Offensive 20 mm|
|IV||Engine injection||Cover||New 20 mm cannons||RO-82|
Pros and cons
- Excellent turning ability- with combat flaps deployed it can out-turn any Bf 109, Fw 190 A and even turn-fighters like the Spitfire
- Extreme roll rate allows it to do offensive / defensive scissors easily, which is an advantage over Bf 109 and Spitfire as their roll rates aren't as good.
- Powerful twin ShVAK cannons with good fire rate, adequate velocity and accuracy, while 150 RPG capacity allows for reasonably long engagements
- Is at rank III but with a 2.7 BR, meaning it can research rank IV planes while playing at low BR matches which can be more enjoyable
- Suspended armament provides rockets and bombs, which, to an extent, allows some ground attack ability
- Is a very short and small plane, offering the enemy a harder target to hit
- Extremely poor level speed, climb rate, dive acceleration and energy retention- will get outran, out-climbed and out-dived easily by Bf 109 E / F, Fw 190 A or A6M2.
- Engine tends to overheat when diving at more than 500 km/h
- Control surfaces are unresponsive over 450 km/h
- Flaps are very weak and will break over 250 km/h, severely limiting its sharp-turning potential at higher speeds
- No manual trim controls in simulator which makes it hard to handle
- Although manoeuvrable, it can still get out-turned by the Japanese turn-fighters
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.
|Polikarpov Design Bureau (Опытное конструкторское бюро Поликарпова)|
|I-15 Fighters||I-15 WR · I-15 M-22 · I-15R · I-15bis · I-153 M-62 · Zhukovsky's I-153-M62 · I-153P|
|I-16 Fighters||I-16 type 5 · I-16 type 10 · I-16 type 18 · I-16 type 24 · I-16 type 27 · I-16 type 28|
|I-180 FIghters||I-180S · I-185 (M-71) · I-185 (M-82)|
|Twin-Engine Fighter||TIS MA|
|Export||␗I-15bis · ␗I-153 M-62 · ␗I-16 type 5 · I-16 type 10 · ␗I-16 type 17 · I-16 Chung 28|
|British||␗Gladiator Mk I|
|Japanese||␗A6M2 · ␗Ki-27 otsu · ␗Ki-43-III ko · ␗Ki-44-II hei · ␗Ki-61-I otsu · Ki-84 ko|
|American||CW-21 · Hawk III · P-66 · ␗P-40E-1 · H-81A-2 · ␗P-43A-1 · ␗P-47D-28 · ␗P-51D-20 · ␗P-51K|
|Soviet||␗I-15bis · ␗I-153 M-62 · I-16 Chung 28 · ␗I-16 type 5 · I-16 type 10 · ␗I-16 type 17 · ␗La-9|