|This page is about the premium Japanese tank destroyer Ho-Ri Prototype. For the regular version, see Ho-Ri Production.|
The Type 5 Ho-Ri Prototype is a premium rank IV Japanese tank destroyer with a battle rating of 6.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced as a premium pack in Update 1.71 "New E.R.A." and was removed from sale after the 2019 New Year sale. It later returned for purchase in-game with Golden Eagles during the 2020 May sale.
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour
- Cast homogeneous armour
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 75 mm (70°) Front glacis
75 mm (8°), 50 mm (67°) Lower glacis
| 55-65 mm (16-17°) Top
55 mm Bottom
| 35 mm (5°) Top
35 mm (10-40°) Bottom
|Casemate|| 120-150 mm (5-20°) Turret front
250 mm Gun mantlet
50-200 mm (2-65°) Barrel shroud
|55-65 mm (17°)||35 mm (5°)||20-50 mm|
- Suspension wheels and bogies are 15 mm thick while the tracks are 20 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 20 mm thick.
- Two 5 mm structural steel plates separate the engine compartment from the crew compartments.
- Small parts of the suspension on the hull sides give 10 mm thick protection at their area.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|105 mm Experimental High Velocity||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Type 2 APHE||APHE||205||201||181||159||140||123|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Type 2 APHE||APHE||916||16||1.2||19||200||47°||60°||65°|
|51||46 (+5)||40 (+11)||30 (+21)||12 (+39)||1 (+50)||No|
- Shells are modeled individually and disappear from the rack after having been shot or loaded.
- To go into battle with the flanks empty of ammo, pack 40 (+11) shells or fewer.
Usage in battles
The Ho-Ri can be used in multiple roles. Its most effective at medium range, where it's harder for the enemy to aim for the lower plate and shells have a harder time penetrating the mantlet, making it easy for you to destroy them. Another option, although risky is to sit on a road that players like to go down and use your armour to bounce and take shot and return fire on enemy tanks.
Enemies worth noting:
- IS-2 / IS-2 (1944) / ISU-122: These machines carry a huge 122 mm cannon that penetrates literally anything they see, including the Ho-Ri. Their shells will go through Ho-Ri's vertical armour of the fighting compartment pretty easily, killing the crew inside or detonating the ammo. To deal with the IS-2, try get a shot at them before the notice you / when they are reloading. These tanks tend to get one-shot due to their lack of crew or the cramped interior. For IS-2 mod.1943, aim for the hull armour that curves and blends into the side, or aim at the turret cheeks. For mod.1944, only go for the turret as the hull is very thick and well sloped. For the ISU-122, aim at anywhere but the gun mantlet, as it often absorb shells or cause ricochet.
Pros and cons
- Good sloping armour on the front
- High velocity high penetrating gun with APHE filler
- Rather good gun depression
- Not slow considering its armour and weight
- Spaced out crew
- Central engine could absorb penetrating front shots
- Armour is not 100% reliable. Fighting compartment can get penetrated by the IS-2 easily
- It is barely ever going to reach its top speed (40 km/h or 25 mph)
- Side armour is quite bad
- Depressing the gun all the way will open roof for the breech, possibly exposing crew to strafing fire.
After the IJA compared Russian and German tanks during 1943 and the shock of encountering the US M4 Sherman, they decided to design tanks with more powerful guns to destroy tanks rather than to support infantry. Like other Japanese self-propelled guns, the Ho-Ri was not equipped any weapon to combat infantry. The design of the Ho-Ri was based on the hull of the Chi-Ri, and with a powerful 105 mm gun mounted in the casemate.
The IJA planned to produce 5 prototypes. However, they made only one 1/5 sized mock-up model
A prototype was completed by August 1944 and five more models were to be completed in 1945, but production was halted due to the industrial damages and resource shortage from the war effort.
- Sun, Eun Ae. The Ho-Ri Tank Destroyer SENSHA. Blogger.com, 03 Sep. 2017. Web. 28 Aug. 2020. Website (Archived)
|Japan tank destroyers|
|Type 95 Derivative||Ro-Go Exp.|
|Chi-Ha Derivatives||Ho-Ni I · Ho-Ni III · Ho-Ro · Chi-Ha LG|
|Ho-Ri||Ho-Ri Prototype · Ho-Ri Production|
|ATGM||Type 60 ATM|
|Rockets||Type 75 MLRS|
|Other||Na-To · Type 60 SPRG (C) · Type 75 SPH|
|Japan premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||Ha-Go Commander|
|Medium tanks||Chi-Ha Short Gun · Chi-He (5th Regiment) · Ka-Chi · Chi-Nu II · Type 74 (G)|
|Heavy tanks||Ro-Go · ▅Heavy Tank No.6|
|Tank destroyers||Ho-Ri Prototype · Type 75 MLRS|