|This page is about the American attack helicopter YAH-64. For other versions, see AH-64 (Family).|
The YAH-64 is a squadron rank VI American attack helicopter with a battle rating of 10.3 (AB/SB) and 10.7 (RB). It was introduced in Update "Direct Hit".
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 1,000 m)
| Max altitude|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the helicopter. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical systems.
Modifications and economy
|CCIP (Guns)||CCIP (Rockets)||CCIP (Bombs)|
The YAH-64 is armed with:
- 1 x 30 mm M230E-1 cannon, chin turret (1,200 rpg)
The YAH-64 can be outfitted with the following ordnance presets:
- Without load
- 76 x Hydra-70 M247 rockets
- 8 x AGM-114B Hellfire missiles
- 16 x AGM-114B Hellfire missiles
Custom loadout options
|Hydra-70 M247 rockets||19||19||19||19|
|AGM-114B Hellfire missiles||2, 4||2, 4||2, 4||2, 4|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in a helicopter, the features of using the helicopter in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Activation of 3rd person lock by changing MFD on the pilot's view
- Amazing 30 mm cannon, can easily take out most tanks, and when locked can take out jets and helicopters too
- Can carry up to 16 Hellfire air-to-ground missiles
- Can use ballistic computer to dramatically increase the effectiveness of Hydra rockets
- Can lock targets for 30 mm cannon to automatically track
- Excellent thermals
- Well armoured for a helicopter, can take 2-3 critical hits to take it down, may survive hits from SAMs
- Not equipped with air-to-air missiles
- Does not have as many armament options as the regular AH-64
- The 30 mm cannon is relatively inaccurate
- Lack of IRCM and countermeasures
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the helicopter in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the helicopter;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Cobra||AH-1F · AH-1G · AH-1Z|
|Apache||YAH-64 · AH-64A · ▃AH-64A Peten · AH-64A (GR) · AH-64D|
|Huey||UH-1B · UH-1C · UH-1C XM-30|