Type 87 RCV
|This page is about the Japanese light tank Type 87 RCV. For the Japanese SPAA, see Type 87.|
The Type 87 RCV (Reconnaissance Combat Vehicle) is a rank V Japanese light tank with a battle rating of 8.0 (AB) and 8.3 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "Direct Hit". It is nicknamed "ブラックアイ" (Black-Eye) but is commonly simply referred to as RCV.
Survivability and armour
Most of the survivability will result from the lack of armour, most of the vehicle is covered by 10 mm armour with some frontal plates at 20 mm protection. It will be easy to be penalized by machine gun fire if spotted but, if the bullets/shells hit in empty spots from the side, the shells will go clean through without any damage to crew or components.
- Rolled homogeneous armour (Hull, Turret)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 10 mm (68°) Upper glacis
20 mm (31-66°) Lower glacis
| 10 mm (10°) Top
10 mm (0°) Bottom
|10 mm (8°)||10 mm|
|Turret||20 mm||10 mm||4 + 10 mm||10 mm|
- Wheels are 10 mm thick
- Has some external modules like fuel cans, mud flaps & optics all at 4 mm thick
- Radiators are 5 mm thick
As a wheeled reconnaissance vehicle, it is able to get to positions rather fast especially when keeping on roads, allowing for easy flanking and getting on vantage points to scout out the enemy team.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
With the armament the Type 87 RCV gets, it's most suitable as a support vehicle that can deal with lightly armoured vehicles and low flying aircraft. Once the APFSDS belt has been unlocked it can deal with most MBTs it faces by shooting out critical components one by one as this subcalibre 25 mm has barely any spalling effect.
|25 mm Oerlikon KBA B02||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Mode||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal||Stabilizer||Stock||Upgraded||Full||Expert||Aced||Stock||Full||Expert||Aced|
- Default: APDS · HEI-T* · HEI-T* - The standard belt that can fulfill both roles (anti-air and lightly armoured vehicles) but weaker against ground targets.
- M792: HEI-T* · HEI-T* · HEI-T* - This belt is adapted for targeting aircraft with its high-explosive shells.
- M791: APDS · APDS · APDS - This belt is adapted for targeting lightly armoured vehicles with its armour-piercing rounds.
- PMB 090: APFSDS - This belt is adapted for targeting medium armoured vehicles with its armour-piercing fin-stabilized rounds.
|Ammunition||Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Fuse delay|| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|4||4 (+0)||3 (+1)||2 (+2)||1 (+3)||Yes|
|7.62 mm Type 74|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
As a wheeled reconnaissance vehicle with only a 25 mm autocannon to use, it's best played in its intended role, spotting the enemy team, using its fast manoeuvrability to flank, and shooting down low flying aircraft. It is best compared to the R3 T20 FA-HS with the benefits that a light tank gets: scouting and reducing SP for aircraft spawns.
Pros and cons
- From the side on:
- Crew spaced out enough to not die in a single shot
- Because of light armour, it is able to take shells without much damage from spalling
- Powerful PBM 09 APFSDS round
- High penetration, enough to penetrate many vehicles up to 500 - 1,000 m
- High muzzle velocity, requiring little lead and little shell drop for engaging targets at range
- Decent rate of fire
- Great mobility
- Able to reach 100 km/h on roads with ease
- Fast enough to reach 50 km/h off-road
- Relatively high profile for a recon vehicle
- High chance of getting knocked out by a single shot frontally
- Default belt leaves much to desire
- Very lightly armoured
- Only 2 reverse gears allowing it to reach -20 km/h
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Komatsu Ltd. (株式会社小松製作所)|
|SPRG||Type 60 SPRG (C)|
|APC||Type 60 ATM|
|MLRS||Type 75 MLRS|
|RCV||Type 87 RCV|
|Japan light tanks|
|Type 89||I-Go Ko|
|Type 95||Ha-Go · Ha-Go Commander|
|Wheeled||Type 87 RCV · Type 16 (P) · Type 16 (FPS) · Type 16|
|USA||▅M24 · ▅M41A1|