|This page is about the German medium tank PT-16/T14 mod.. For other versions, see Leopard 2 (Family).|
The KPz Prototyp PT-16/T14 mod. is a gift rank VI German medium tank with a battle rating of 9.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced during Update "Direct Hit" as a reward for the 2021 Export Order event.
The PT-16/T14 mod. is a Leopard 2 prototype (like the Leopard 2K). It differs from the earlier prototype by its different turret more reminiscent of the production version, no remote-controlled 20 mm cannon, and an extremely fast autoloading cannon.
Survivability and armour
Describe armour protection. Note the most well protected and key weak areas. Appreciate the layout of modules as well as the number and location of crew members. Is the level of armour protection sufficient, is the placement of modules helpful for survival in combat? If necessary use a visual template to indicate the most secure and weak zones of the armour.
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||___ mm|| ___ mm Top
___ mm Bottom
|12 mm||5-20 mm|
|Turret|| ___ - ___ mm Turret front
___ mm Gun mantlet
|___ - ___ mm||20 mm||20-35 mm|
|Cupola||20 mm||20 mm||20 mm||20 mm|
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|120 mm Rh120 L/44||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive mass
(TNT equivalent) (kg)
|41||10 (+31)||1 (+40)||No|
- Shells are modeled individually and disappear after having been shot or loaded.
- Rack 2 is a first stage ammo rack. It totals 9 shells and gets filled first when loading up the tank.
- This rack is also emptied early: the rack depletion order at full capacity is 2 - 1.
- Simply not firing when the gun is loaded will move ammo from rack 1 into rack 2. Firing will interrupt the restocking of the ready rack.
|7.62 mm MG3A1|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Due to its good mobility and fast-firing cannon, this tank is perfectly suited for flanking enemy positions or sniping from afar. With its poor armour protection and large frontal ammo rack, taking this tank into a head-on fight is often very dangerous, but it can be a very dangerous run-and-gun tank if the driver has quick reflexes and good target acquisition.
Pros and cons
- Good mobility
- Good gun handling with laser rangefinder, quick turret traverse, and two-plane stabilizer
- Very short reload time thanks to its autoloader
- Has access to potent shells, like the potent 120 mm DM23 APFSDS round
- Stereoscopic rangefinder gives near-instant range readings and automatically adjusts the sights
- Poor armour protection overall
- Stock HEATFS shell
- No thermal sights
- Small first stage ammo storage of 9 rounds, additional ammo is kept at the front of hull presenting a large weak spot.
During the development of the Leopard 2 project, German engineers came up with several different hull and turret designs as well as respective combinations. This led to equally many different prototype designs being tested. Among these experimental versions was the Leopard chassis with the PT-14 turret, developed by Krauss-Maffei in the early 1980s.
The peculiarity of this design was the presence of an autoloading mechanism for the cannon, giving it an extremely high rate of fire. Despite undergoing exhaustive tests in Germany, the autoloader wasn't adopted in the final design of the Leopard 2 and the concept remained just a prototype.
|Germany medium tanks|
|Pz.III||Pz.III B · Pz.III E · Pz.III F · Pz.III J · Pz.III J1 · Pz.III J1 TD · Pz.III L · Pz.III M · Pz.III N|
|Pz.IV||Pz.IV C · Pz.IV E · Pz.IV F1 · Pz.IV F2 · Pz.IV G · Pz.IV H · Pz.IV J · Pz.Bef.Wg.IV J|
|Pz.V||VK 3002 (M) · Panther A · Panther D · Panther F · Panther G · Ersatz M10 · Panther II|
|M48 upgrades||M48A2 G A2 · M48 Super|
|Leopard 1||Leopard I · Leopard A1A1 · Leopard A1A1 (L/44) · Leopard 1A5 · C2A1 · Turm III|
|Leopard 2||PT-16/T14 mod. · Leopard 2K · Leopard 2AV · Leopard 2A4 · Leopard 2 (PzBtl 123) · Leopard 2 PL · Leopard 2A5 · Leopard 2A6|
|Trophies||▀M4 748 (a) · ▀T 34 747 (r)|
|Other||Nb.Fz. · KPz-70|
|USA||mKPz M47 G · M48A2 C|