P.108B serie 2
|This page is about the Italian bomber P.108B serie 2. For other versions, see P.108 (Family).|
The P.108B serie 2 is a rank IV Italian bomber with a battle rating of 4.0 (AB) and 3.7 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.69 "Regia Aeronautica".
The Piaggio P.108B Serie 2 is a typical heavy bomber. It should always avoid enemy fighter aircraft if possible, the Piaggio P.108B Serie 2 is a massive plane and it does not like taking hits especially in the wings where the plane carries its massive fuel load. If an enemy plane is going to attack you, do not go head-on as you have no gunners or any guns at all at the front of the plane. Always give them your tail so your gunners can shoot at them.
When using this plane as a bomber the payloads which should never be used are the 34 x 50 kg bombs, 7 x 250 kg bombs and the 2 x F200/450 torpedoes. The other payloads 34 x 100 kg bombs and 7 x 500 kg bombs are far heavier (34 x 50 kg equals 1,700 kg, 34 x 100 kg equals 3,400 kg, 7 x 250 kg equals 1,750 kg, 7 x 500 kg equals 3,500 kg). The 2 x F200/450 torpedoes should not be used as you have access to the 3 F200/450 torpedoes. All in all the three recommended payloads to be used in general are 34 x 100 kg bombs, 7 x 500 kg bombs, and the 3 F200/450 torpedoes.
The P.108B Serie 2 is a heavy bomber with a heavy bomb load and relatively weak defensive armament. When delivering the bombs to the targets, high altitudes are a must. The preferred targets of this bomber are stationary objects like pillboxes or slow moving vehicles such as ships (if you can time it well) and of course the bomb targets and airfields. Should an enemy fighter catch up with you, it is certain doom as your defensive guns have a low chance to kill it. To survive attacks, use your gunners to ward off the enemy aircraft until help comes. Stay away from combat as much as you can and do your job as a bomber.
The P.108B Serie 2 maybe a striking plane visually but it does come with combat limitations. The Aircraft is slow and poorly armed. You will need to plan a course around the map to try and avoid enemy fighters as much as possible. Keeping your altitude high and turns to a minimum will help your survivability. It is always helpful to have a fighter or two fly escort as well.
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,900 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 330||< 310||< 270||> 250|
Survivability and armour
- 8 mm Steel - Cockpit armour - instrument panel, pilot's seat, co-pilot's seat, pilot's side plates and floor plate below pilot
- 8 mm Steel - Armour plate protecting ammo located in wings
- 8 mm Steel - Side gunner armoured walls
- 8 mm Steel - Ventral gunner position
- 8 mm Steel - Wing gunners remote positions x 2
The P.108B serie 2 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- 34 x 50 kg GP 50 bombs (1,700 kg total)
- 34 x 100 kg GP 100 bombs (3,400 kg total)
- 2 x 450 mm F200/450 torpedoes
- 3 x 450 mm F200/450 torpedoes
- 7 x 250 kg GP 250 bombs (1,750 kg total)
- 7 x 500 kg GP 500 bombs (3,500 kg total)
The P.108B serie 2 is defended by:
- 2 x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, 2 x wing turrets (300 rpg = 600 total)
- 1 x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun, ventral turret (450 rpg)
- 1 x 7.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun, 2 x beam turrets (400 rpg)
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the aircraft, the features of using aircraft in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Manual Engine Control
Auto control available
Not auto controlled
Not auto controlled
|Separate|| Not controllable
|I||Fuselage repair||Radiator||Turret 7 mm||MCSAP100|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs (turret)||TBC-79|
|III||Wings repair||Engine||Turret 12 mm||MCGP250|
|IV||Engine injection||Cover||New 12 mm MGs (turret)||MCRO500|
- The first upgrade on this plane you should get is the MCSAP100 for access to the 100kg bombs. Afterwards you should get the radiator next and the 7.7 mm belts. Get the Fuselage repair last.
- At the 2nd tier modification, the torpedo is a must if you want to get the better bombs. Afterwards focus on getting the air frame (for better durability), and compressor (for better performance) and for last get the new 7.7 mm turret.
- Third tier modification, the 12.7 mm turret belts is a must for defensive firepower, afterwards the engine modification, then the wings repair, and finally the MCGP250KG.
- Fourth Tier modification, get the MCRO500 which is the best bombs you can use, then the Engine Injection and new 12.7mm turrets and finally the cover.
Pros and cons
- 2 turrets are placed on the distant engines allowing for more guns to face backwards
- Heavy payload available
- One of two planes (the other being the P.108B Serie 1) in game that can carry 3 torpedoes
- As compared to the previous P.108B (the Serie 1) this one has fully armoured seats for the pilots as well as armoured plates for the wing gunners control positions
- Extremely cheap repair costs (compared to other tier 4 bombers)
- Gunners are bunched together and easily knocked out
- Turrets on the engines cannot face forwards
- Poor manoeuvrability and climb rate
- No nose mounted gun, susceptible to frontal attack/head-ons
- Prone to fuel tank fire due to tremendous fuel load
- Massive size
- Relatively weak defensive firepower
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.
|Attackers||P.108A serie 2|
|Bombers||P.108B serie 1 · P.108B serie 2|
|Fiat||BR.20 DR · B.R.20M M1|
|Savoia-Marchetti||S.81 · S.M.79 serie 1 · S.M.79 B · S.M.79 serie 8 · S.M.79 AS · S.M.79 bis/T.M|
|CANT||Z.1007 bis serie 3 · Z.1007 bis serie 5|
|Piaggio||P.108B serie 1 · P.108B serie 2|
|German||▄Ju 87 R-2 · ▄Ju 87 D-3|